A Conversation for The Heart of Canada - Stan Rogers

subsonic resonance

Post 1

rev. paperboy (god is an iron)

I dunno what it is about Stan Rogers voice/songs. I don't have a CD review column due for a couple of weeks so I've had the luxury of listening to whatever I want lately and Canadiana has been in heavy rotation on the walkman/discman. Coming into work today I played my old live stan rogers tape (Home in Halifax - live CBC broadcast) "Free in the Harbour" "Bluenose" "Lies" all give me chills, and I could only just barely restrain myself from giving my fellow subway straphangers a rousing chorus or five of "Barrett's Privateers" - not that they would have batted an eye. Self immolation wouldn't raise an eyebrow on the Tokyo subway, unless the fire spread to someone else, then there would be a lot of tsk tsking and throat clearing.
I'm not sure of the exact date but they make jokes about Bill Davis and refer to big Ralph's 'eastern creeps and bums' comment.

May have to give the neighbourhood a few verses of Mary Ellen Carter (dedicated to American Liberals) on my way home from the night shift at 2 am

"You to whom adversity has dealt the final blow
with smiling bastards lying to you everywhere you go
turn to and put forth all your might
with arm and heart and brain
and like the Mary Ellen Carter rise again"

Rise Again, Rise Again,
Though your heart it be broken and life about to End
No matter what you've lost
Be it a home, a love , a friend
Like the Mary Ellen Carter Rise Again"


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more