Yamaha FJ Motorcycles

1 Conversation


The Yamaha FJ1100 and FJ1200 are both types of motorbike.


In the terms of the guide definition, the FJ certainly does have a crude metal framework (box steel and quite bendy), a disproportionately large engine (more grunt than the proverbial rutting hippo), and is easily capable of hazardous speeds (although the top speed is only 150mph). They inspire a semi-fanatic following, and are considered by many to be a modern classic. Most riders enjoy the FJ's relative comfort and ease of use. A few bizarre owners enter competitions and try to ride 1000 miles in a day. Some choose the bulletproof engine as a starting point for serious modification.


Acheiving a 'hazardous' speed on the FJ is quite easy. They are a tad underbraked, very heavy, and like to go in a stright line. Later models have ABS in an attempt to make them safer, but the worth of this addition is a matter of debate. They are best suited to the drag strip, or loading with luggage and a passenger. The FJ can cruise all day at 100 mph in this configuration.


The FJ1100 was the first FJ. It was built from 1984 to 1986. Then came the first FJ1200. This was produced in various forms up to 1993. ABS was introduced in 1992, on the FJ1200A and continued until the end of the model run. For more history, technical specs, and a whole lot more, visit the FJ Resource web site.


There is a large and active owners club for the FJ, based in the UK. This is run by Phil 'Doc' Hacker, who also operates as Fudge Motorcycles (Fudge, FJ, geddit?). He offers cheap, reliable and friendly mechanical services to club members. See the UKFJOC web site. His FJ has done 180,000 miles. Nuff sed.


To see more, try a web search, or start at http://www.fj1100.com, where you can see photographs of various FJs and join the FJ e-mailing list.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A249040

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more