A Conversation for Yorkshire's Castles: Ripley Castle

Worth the trip

Post 1

Hikaru Poet

I visited Ripley Castle on my October 2001 visit to Yorkshire. It's a short walk to the castle/manor from the bus stop for the Leeds-Harrogate-Ripon bus. I did the house tour and found it entertaining and educational. The house is also used for conferences and special events so it had more of a warm, "living" feeling to it. It's still a home, not just a museum showpiece.

The weekend I was there was a "murder mystery" weekend. On our tour of the dining room we found the fact sheets and half-empty coffee cups from the participants who must have just gone out on the prowl. There was also an inviting portrait of the current Ingilby family.

My Yorkshire ancestry is actually in south Yorkshire but the manor in the village that my ancestors came from is now a hotel that has lost most of its historic character. Of the several country homes and larger manors or castles that I visited in Yorkshire, Ripley Castle was the one that best provided me with a sense of connection with my Yorkshire heritage.


Key: Complain about this post

Worth the trip

More Conversations for Yorkshire's Castles: Ripley Castle

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more