A Conversation for The Beer Cellar of a Public House

Time to expand and update

Post 1

Pastey

I know you're still around Whisky, d'you fancy jointly updating and expanding this entry?

I could certainly debate things like "immediately after delivery" for racking the casks smiley - winkeye

There's also key kegs now too which would make a good addition.

smiley - rose


Time to expand and update

Post 2

Whisky

Only three months to reply - I'm slowing down in my old age...

I've been out of the business (and the country) for over a decade now - so some things might have changed (what the heck are 'key kegs' anyway???)

Having said that - I'd still argue you're better racking real ale casks as soon as you get them - on the provisor that you've enough space in your cellar... The fewer times they settle and are disturbed afterwards the better chance they have of clearing properly.


Time to expand and update

Post 3

Pastey

Key kegs are like bag in boxes, beer in the bag, gas squeezes between the keg and the bag to push the beer through.


Time to expand and update

Post 4

Whisky

Hmm - had a quick look at KeyKegs website - interesting stuff disposable kegs and an alternative to mixed gas setups as you don't get the CO2 being dissolved in the beer... I'd quite like the opinion of someone who's actually used them practically though - and what they're being used for, what type of beers and what the result tastes like, etc...




Time to expand and update

Post 5

Pastey

They use them in a couple of pubs I drink in, mostly for English "kegged" ales and lagers. They're usually light, hoppy ales and lagers or stouts. The dispense gives it that extra fizz and chill, even without the gas hitting the beer.

Personally, I like them. If you're ever in Manchester, I'll buy you a pint smiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Beer Cellar of a Public House

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more