The Bookworm Club Review

0 Conversations

Bookworms by Amy the Ant

All reviews are written by members of The H2G2 Bookworm's Club. We hope this review is helpful, and that we'll see you airing your views at the Club soon.

From Here, You Can't See Paris, Michael Sanders

There are an awful lot of books available following the adventures of Brits or Americans who have moved abroad. This offering is a little different. Sanders, a self confessed Francophile, moves his family from Maine to Les Arques in the Lot region of France to follow a year in the fortunes of the village's main source of income, the restaurant 'La Récréation'.

Cue an indepth description of restaurant life, food, and the people of Les Arques. By having such a short timeframe for the book, each chapter is an interesting view on a slice of the local life. This is a succulent novel, a literary meal to be lingered over, savouring its taste.

Of course, you can't have a book about a restaurant without mouth-watering descriptions of its food. And this being France, there's a lot of food described. I personally would love to try the scallop filled squash blossoms that accompany 'La Récréation's' dishes, or the tempting mushroom filled chicken breast. Then there's the simple peasant dishes that the mayor's wife makes for Sander's family, and the foie gras producer. Duck liver is better than goose apparently. A word of warning when reading the foie gras chapter, Sander's describes various animal slaughtering methods, as well as gavage (the method used to make foie gras), so you might want to prepare something vegetarian for your dinner that night!

The people, too, are friendly and their views are gathered on local issues, such as the decline of truffle hunting due to growing problems. This makes From Here... a bit like a written documentary, and an all the more fulfilling read.

Finally, Les Arques used to be the home of a famous sculptor, Zadkine (no, I'd never heard of him either!). Another chapter of the book is devoted to his life and work. So, while From Here... is billed as being about the restaurant, it is in fact about the whole community, and all its surrounding businesses. I found this to be an engrossing read, which left me much more knowledgable about countryside France and its inhabitants. For someone who has only ever been to Paris, it was a good way to experience a different part of France, and yes, in some ways I did feel like I'd been to Les Arques myself. I look forward to any other 'travel books' Sanders may produce.

The Bookworm Club Review Archive

Review written by Pinwheel Pearl

26.02.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2343016

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more