Red Kite in the Ruck

0 Conversations

A few months ago now, I remarked how Wasps had yet to play Rotherham who were languishing at the bottom of the table with one solitary point. I was a little worried as, although Wasps are brilliant, they have a tendency to suddenly play absolutely appallingly and lose a so-called easy game. Would Rotherham be the benefactors of such a slip! On the day my nerves were a little raw as, due to the Six Nations1 and injury, quite a few of our regulars were missing from the pack. As it turned out the Titans really gave their all and it was not an easy win for Wasps. Wasps managed to get the bonus point for 4 tries and Rotherham added a well-deserved bonus point to their tally for coming within seven points at the final score, Wasps 27 Rotherham 20. Wasps maintained their second position in the table and the Titans remained at the bottom but with one extra point.

Despite most teams losing players to the Six Nations the rest of the games were still impressive proving that sometimes the absence of tried and tested can help with the emergence of new talent. A taster of some of the games follows.

Gloucester 38 - 12 Sale

Gloucester are definitely improving as the season moves on and it may be that they are looking towards the final again this year. Last season they took and held top place only to lose out in the final to London Wasps. This year has been slower for them but they are definitely rising stars.

Four tries, a penalty try, five conversions and a penalty saw Gloucester demolish Sale at home. The nearly 11,000 supporters at Gloucester went wild for their team on Valentines Day. Love was in the air and a bonus point for the tries was the best gift they could receive, taking them just 2 points below Saints in the Premiership Table.

Saracens 18 - 22 Northampton

The Saints came to Vicarage Road looking for a win and that's what they left with. Despite Saracens scoring two tries, a conversion and two penalties, the Saints went one better scoring three tries, two converted and a penalty that took them into the lead, winning by just four points. Amazingly all the Northampton points were won in the first forty-seven minutes of the game, with Saracens having the first try in the first three minutes. Northampton managed to hold on to their lead despite Mark Robinson being sin binned in the last ten minutes of the match. Despite great play Saracens were unable even to manage a bonus point.

Team Standings as at 18th February

TeamPlayedPoints
 Bath 15 57
 London Wasps 16 55
 Northampton 16 48
 Gloucester 16 46
 London Irish 15 40
 Harlequins 15 40
 Sale 16 38
 Newcastle 16 34
 Leeds 16 29
 Leicester 15 26
 Saracens 16 24
 Rotherham 16 02

Red Kite in the Ruck Archive

Red Kite

19.02.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page

16 Nations matches at the weekend provided some excellent rugby.

Results as follows:
Wales 23 - 10 Scotland, France 35 - 17 Ireland, Italy 9 - 50 England... ed

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2311435

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more