A Conversation for Deer Season

A few comments

Post 1

Researcher 93445

Out here (Washington state), baiting (leaving feed around to get deer coming to a particular spot) is strictly illegal. I'm not saying it never happens, but the game wardens in my county are on the ball, and they hand out heavy fines for this (as well as poaching or shooting illegal deer -- for example, this year someone got fined $2500 for shooting a 2-point buck and then trying to hide it).

Washington doesn't have an open doe season. You can apply for a doe permit; the number granted in each county depends on the size of the deer population.

As a rural property owner, I've found hunters in this area to be very courteous. All the ones who hunted our land asked first, and respected our rules about the area that was off-limits due to livestock. Of course, the fact that I'm a hunter myself could have made them friendlier.

And no, I didn't get a deer this year, despite trying. Had a lot of fun hunting, but never got a legal buck in my sights. So it goes. Perhaps next year we'll be making our own venison sausage, instead of buying it at the store.


Key: Complain about this post

A few comments

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more