A Conversation for Attention Spans

Attention spans and TV

Post 1

Cheerful Dragon

I recently read (or heard) that the average length of a scene in a British soap used to be 3 - 4 minutes, but now it's something like 1.5 minutes. The reduced scene length was attributed to a reduction in attention span. Was there an associated reduction in intelligence? Even with an attention span down to 25 minutes (it used to be 40 - 45) the average person should still be able to cope with a 3 minute scene in a soap!

And then there was Police Squad. For those that haven't heard of it, Police Squad was a spoof of all the 70s US cop shows, devised by the people behind Airplane and starring Leslie Nielsen. The series was dropped after only 6 episodes because the TV executives reckoned that the average American attention span couldn't cope with it (or so I heard). Give me a break! Each episode was only about 30 minutes long. OK, so there was a lot going on, but that was half the fun!


Key: Complain about this post

Attention spans and TV

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more