A Conversation for The Battle of Turnham Green 1642

Turnham Green Memorial

Post 1

MMF - Keeper of Mustelids, with added P.M.A., is now in a relationship.

Very good entry, and you are right. There is nothing in the immediate vicinity noting the battle.

I would point out, though, that there is a memorial to The Battle of Turnham Green situated outside the Crown Court in Brentford High Street.

The details can be found at:

http://www.thomaslayton.org.uk/trail-5-insc.htm

I understand that the monument was originally erected in Ferry Lane, Brentford, but was moved when the area was redeveloped. It is made of pink granite and looks as though, when it was moved, it suffered some major damage where the two sections join as there is a large quantity of white 'glue' holding the two sections together.

Hope that helps.

If you want a photo, I can easily get one, as it is only 10 minutes away.

smiley - cheers

smiley - musicalnote


Turnham Green Memorial

Post 2

Pheroneous II

There is a noticeboard briefly describing the battle just by Turnham Green tube station, at the edge of the green called Back Common, rather than Turnham Green itself. Recently the council put up notice boards describing the area as "Turnham Green". Locals rebelled and put tape on it covering the name. Fortunately they - the council - had put the correct ("Back Common") signs on the area down by the Town Hall, so it was a simple swap.


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Battle of Turnham Green 1642

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more