A Conversation for The Nebra Sky Disc

Error in Nera DisK

Post 1

Paddy Redmond

One of the most obvious things when viewing the Moon is that the part which faces us but is currently unlit obscures all the stars beyond it. The author of the Nera Disk (not Disc) seems unaware of this salient fact. Compared with this his failure to record even a semblance of the appearance of the six/seven sisters is a minor miscalculation. It is fanciful to say the least to ascribe the 80 deg arc to the variation of the appearance of the moon over a full generation if more straightforward facts are so ill recorded. Artistic merit 8.0; technical merit 2.4.


Error in Nera DisK

Post 2

Gnomon - time to move on

Good point, Paddy. But it is Nebra, not Nera. And it is Disc, not Disk, as we use British spelling on this website.


Error in Nera DisK

Post 3

Paddy Redmond

While pleased to accept the correction of the name I would point out that disk is an accepted BRITISH spelling and outside the field of modern communication is the preferred one (should that be prefered?)


Error in Nera DisK

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

No. Disk is only the preferred spelling for computer disks. It is disc for all other sorts of discs. You will notice it is Compact Disc even in America, as that is the official name of the medium. But such pedantry is irrelevant.

Your point about the Nebra disc/disk is a good one. I tried to give the impression in this entry that various things have been claimed about the disc, although I, the author, don't believe them.smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for The Nebra Sky Disc

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more