A Conversation for Nepal

A few questions

Post 1

Vestboy

Wasn't Nepal the only Hindu state in the world? Did this change when the government changed? Maybe worth an historical note.


A few questions

Post 2

sprout

Was it? There are an awful lot of Buddhists in Nepal, you wouldn't think of it as a one religion state...

I'll have to look it up.

sprout


A few questions

Post 3

Tams

Hinduism was the state religion when the monarchy existed. It was rather like how C of E is the state religion of the UK, as in it really didn't matter. Officially the country is now secular, as laid out in their interim constitution, but governance is rather a mess, so it could be anything, though probably nothing.


A few questions

Post 4

Vestboy

Apparently it was a Hindu State until 2006. Modern India has many religions but is a secular state (as is Nepal now). One article I read said that Nepalis don't make a strong distinction between Hinduism and Buddhism. I'm not sure about that, but I know in Sri Lanka Buddhist Temples often have Hindu figures in them and there is a certain blurring of the differences between the two religions.


A few questions

Post 5

sprout

That's what struck me in Nepal as well - syncretism, I think it's called?

sprout


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more