A Conversation for Canada Geese

Protective Parents?

Post 1

VaCKo

It's true, as far as I know, that Canada geese are, like most other animals, very protective of their offspring. Which is why I was so astonished when, two years ago, I managed to gain the trust, even friendship, of a goose couple ("Frank" and "Sylvia") in only two days when they had NEWLY HATCHED GOSLINGS!

Really. The first time I went up to the pond (the school I attended at the time had two on the grounds, and a teacher had told me there was a pair or two of geese nesting at the upper pond), Frank attacked me, of course, but I tossed bread crusts at him until I got away. The second time, however, he just stood there and didn't try to stop me, even when I got within a few yards of Sylvia's nest! Not only that, but when I tossed her some crusts, Sylvia got up, which was when I saw, not the eggs I had been expecting, but four little yellow-gray puffballs! I got to the point where I could come within a foot of the babies with absolutely no reaction. I mean, I knew I was good with animals, but...


Key: Complain about this post

Protective Parents?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more