A Conversation for Harpsichords

Tori Amos may use them...

Post 1

trina

Sir Thomas Beecham described harpsichords very well I think. He said that they sound like "two skeletons copulating on a corrigated iron roof. In a hail storm". I tend to agree with him.


Tori Amos may use them...

Post 2

The Wisest Fool

'Golden Brown' by the Stranglers sounded like it used a harpsichord.
But then the song was all about a love affair with heroin (ab)use, so just be careful with those ancient instruments kids.
Harpsichords have no staying power as they have no sustain - long live the Les Paul.


Tori Amos may use them...

Post 3

Spiceman(sic)

The problem with the harpsicord is the difficulty in maintaining the beast. Since its strings are "plucked" similarly to a guitar, the inner workings require alot of time to keep them operational. I personally enjoy harpsicord music, tinny as it is. It has a very nostelgic aura that seems to transport one to another time and space... Well best be off to the transporter.


Tori Amos may use them...

Post 4

trina

I think I may be just allergic to the sound and have found ways of justifying it. In the background of, say, Handel, it's great, but that tinniness gets to me by itself.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more