A Conversation for History of the Celts

1997ad...?

Post 1

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Actually, back in the 1970s when I was at school, there was a national vote taken on Devolution, and just over 57% of Scots voted that they wanted it. The English government of the time "saved face" by saying that all "abstentions" were "obviously" votes for the continuation of the Union, and added all the non-votes to those against Devolution... (At the time, England relied on our oil revenue) - I'm drunk, and it's late, but if I remember at the weekend I'll get more precise details for you...

Peet
(Aberdeen, Scotland)


1997ad...?

Post 2

Bran the Explorer

Sassunach bastards! Sure ... details would be great, sober or otherwise. Thanks for the info.
Cheers
Bran.


1997ad...?

Post 3

cleidh_mhor

Yeah, what happened was that Labour put forward the Devolution Bill and then someone ammended it by private memeber's bill saying that the result had to be over 60% in favour or it didn't count. Bizarre eh?

Neil
Edinburgh
(weel Toronto at the mo' but I come frae Edinburgh)


1997ad...?

Post 4

Bran the Explorer

Well ... not really surprising for a diminishing woe-begotten has-been empire, I suppose. Still, a nasty thing to do. Apparently, I understand, there have been quite a number of attempts at Scottish devolution this century. Finally, it has happened.

Bran the Honourary Scot (no-kidding, see Taipan's Dalriada page).


Key: Complain about this post