Random Ramblings

0 Conversations

Don't you just hate it when you feel that you have to use the complaints system? Unfortunately, I've had reason to use the complaints button more than once, and I'd much rather I hadn't. If you've been a member of h2g2 for a while, you'll certainly have come across postings and behaviour that upset you. This is probably due to Researchers either not knowing or not caring for the Guide to Netiquette on h2g2. These are not 'official' rules, unlike the House Rules you accepted by creating your account, yet it is advisable to read them. A lot of thought has been put into the making of this help page and if you think this one is too long and you can't be bothered to read it all (although you should!), you will find a short one in this unedited, 'private' entry. And while you're at it, why not read Post-post Remorse? It nicely explains why you could experience this and suggests how to avoid it. If you are an ACE, it might be a good idea to include one or both links in your welcome message, because it looks as if disruptions by new Researchers are becoming more and more frequent. Sure, you can't make anybody read those sites, but you can at least point them out.

In case you now wonder why I keep banging on about the volunteers and netiquette, it's quite simple: it's because I've noted there's a misconception of the former and ignorance of the latter. I encountered a good example of misconception only the other day, when a newbie came into my space asking me to yikes certain posts in a popular thread. Now, we Aces aren't supposed to yikes posts for other people, so I told the newbie they'd have to do so themselves if the posts broke the house rules. Their reply was this:

oh well they don't do anything cause last time i did it they sent me a replie saying it will be removed but it is not and you are a ace

Well, yes, I am an ACE, but I have to abide by the same rules as everybody else. If at all, I have to be even more restrained than others, because if I'm not everybody will point their fingers and say, 'See, they think they can get away with it because they're Aces.' No, we cannot; and yes, we know it. This is a community and it will only work if everybody sticks to the rules and if every member works on it, not only the volunteers. So, you who are reading this: go, spread the word!

Stories and Articles about h2g2 Archive

B'Elana

22.02.07 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A20026252

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more