A Conversation for Crumbs

Clearing up

Post 1

MaW

Does anybody know a trick for getting rid of crumbs on your worktop left over from preparing food ie bread? Other than using a dustbuster, that is smiley - smiley


Clearing up

Post 2

Waza Wasabi

There are numerous ways to clean up crumbs (not including said Dustbuster).

1. Dog -- this only works, however, if you indeed have a dog. Also consider the area the crumbs are located on, if it happens to not enjoy pooch saliva, avoid this solution. Keep in mind that using a dog to clean up your crumbs will only eventually transfer the mess elsewhere, in a less attractive form.

2. Air-In-A-Can -- you can use these useful items (which are multi-purpose, really.. I've invented new ways to use these myself), and just blow the crumbs away. A cheap alternative is your mother-in-law.

3. Those rather nifty restaurant metal scraper things that you see your waiter use to clean up your mess when you nervously shred your baguette to bits on a bad date -- especially useful on white tablecloths.

4. Maid -- maid service is always a wonderful thing. Just beware that calling her up in the morning at 4:30AM to remove crumbs from your worktop is probably not a good idea if you wish her service to be continued.

5. Your Own Hands! Yes, this is a very reliable way to clean up crumbs, especially when used in conjunction with a small broom or brush. You even have two of them, so one can be used to hold the crumbs until you reach the wastebasket. Novel!

I hope my crumb experience helps.

--WW


Clearing up

Post 3

MaW

Air-in-a-can also transfers the mess to another place, although if it's on the floor you can use an ordinary vacuum cleaner, instead of the forbidden Dustbuster.


Clearing up

Post 4

The Harassed Designer

If you are miles from the nearest 'air-in-a-can' retailer, presumably you could use a drinking straw to propel the crumbs floorwards. More 'air-in-a-person' really, crude but effective. Inhalation, rather than exhalation could, I suppose, result in a choking hazard if the crumbs were particularly small.

On another tack, does anyone know whether the peculiar 'always falling butter side down' law of gravity applies to toast crumbs?


Clearing up

Post 5

Taipan - Jack of Hearts


'always falling butter side down'

This law only applies over a given height. As most tabletops are designed for humans of roughly the same height, you won't discover the possible variation in this law in most environments. Of course, the possiblity of ending 'butter side down' is also inversely proportional to the amount of butter you put on in the first place.

If most humans were even half a foot taller, and therefore most tabletops were placed at a higher level to accomodate this, then the law would actually be the exception.


Clearing up

Post 6

MaW

Young humans are taller... tables need to be redesigned. Well, doorways do at least. And no, I don't think I'll try the drinking straw idea. Hyperventilation is not my idea of a good way to clear up crumbs. And what do you do with the crumbs once you've cleared them up? Do birds eat crumbs?


Clearing up

Post 7

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

I think birds do eat crumbs.


Clearing up

Post 8

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

Don't you mean directly proportional? The more butter, the greater the probability, right?


Clearing up

Post 9

Waza Wasabi

I think I would prefer the crumbs to the mess birds would make.


Clearing up

Post 10

Lupa Mirabilis, Serious Inquisitor

Good point.


Clearing up

Post 11

MaW

Hey hey hey! If the birds shit on the lawn, it's better than your carpet, isn't it? Or are you worried about your windows and cars?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more