A Conversation for Buddha

Chanting

Post 1

Ormondroyd

First of all, may I say that this is a fascinating Entry. Well done! smiley - smiley
It got me thinking about a time a couple of years back when a friend of mine did her damnedest to get me into Buddhism. I was intrigued because she seemed like a remarkably kind, serene and happy person. But I am a sceptic by nature, and in the end my friend's excessively evangelical attitude put me off. Perhaps I was too easily dissuaded.
But one thing I really couldn't come to terms with was the chanting. I'd hear her doing her chanting in the morning and think to myself that I could never do that with a straight face. I just know that I'd end up throwing in football chants ("Come and have a go if you think you're Zen enough", perhaps). smiley - winkeye
So can anyone tell me - what's the significance of the chanting? Is it necessary, and what is it FOR? smiley - fish


Chanting

Post 2

an apple tree

i'm pretty sure that chanting is used to create positive energy and to build up karmic credit. but don't quote me on that...or if you feel it necessary, do it in un-buddhist company smiley - bigeyes


Chanting

Post 3

Classic Krissy

I chant "Gunners Suck" all the time, but that's not very zen, is it?


Chanting

Post 4

Ormondroyd

No, but it is a very understandable sentiment. smiley - winkeye


Chanting

Post 5

Classic Krissy

Amen, brother. Let us pray. *bowing head* Oh lord, let Arsenal fail miserably and horribly in everything they attempt. Let Arsene "Stupid Name" Wenger get scabies that itch like a plauge of locusts and dysentery that will give him hideous diarrhea and serve as a physical demonstration to him of the natural state of his team. Let my voice forever be raised on high in the mocking and general humiliation of the team that will forever represent the ultimate in crapulance, Arsenal. Gunner's suck. Amen. *raising head*

I don't know. That always makes me feel pretty "at one" with the universe.


Chanting

Post 6

Ormondroyd

LOL
Amen to that! smiley - smiley


Chanting

Post 7

Galvie

A friend told me that the "oooooo" sound is the sound of creation,
and the "aaaaaaaa" is the the sound of thankfulness for that creation.
However, I am unsure about what the sound of destruction is.
He also claims that by making these sounds, you vibrate your body, and since all matter is merely a form of slowed down energy, you are getting your body closer to what he calls "the universal energy"
However, he was quite drunk at the time and so was I, so again, I am unsure about its accuracy. smiley - smiley


Chanting

Post 8

Martin Harper

If it's done while meditating, I can give you a simple reason - to stop the mind wandering. It is extremely difficult (heck, I bet nobody in this forum could do it, me included) to meditate for even five minutes without getting heavily distracted. There are various ways to try and reduce distractions, and most of them involve giving the mind something (anything) to do - either counting breaths, or chanting, or whatever.

That may or may not be the reason in your friend's case...


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more