A Conversation for Yorkshire Pudding

Onion gravy...

Post 1

Ormondroyd

...is by far the best accompaniment for a Yorkshire pud, if you ask this Yorkshireman. (In fact, the very thought of it is making me feel hungry and homesick.)
It's certainly preferable to some of the downright bizarre combinations I've found in London. I mean - Yorkshire pud with CHILLI!? Blasphemy!


Onion gravy...

Post 2

Jim Lad

Onion gravy is good - or just plain gravy made from the drippings of the meat - I live for the stuff. Another variation that we have often we call tadpole in the hole, which is exactly the same as toad in the hole, but we use those little cocktail sausages (and, of course, gravy).


Onion gravy...

Post 3

Ormondroyd

My local pub in north London now does large Yorkshire puddings filled with sausages, mashed potato and - yes - onion gravy. It would be great if it wasn't for the fact that they obviously microwave the puddings, which therefore come out hard and brittle at the side and leathery in the centre. But then, what can you expect of Southerners, eh? smiley - winkeye


Onion gravy...

Post 4

Jim Lad

That sounds disgusting - but it could be worse. My ex-mother-in-law used to (probably still does) prepare the Sunday meal hours in advance and reheat all of just before we ate (which normally happened in the evening). The pud came out like cardboard - wouldn't even soak up the gravy, the meat was dry and the roast potatoes shrivelled. Yuk.

That gives me a good idea - I'm going to see what I can find regarding Mothers-in-law.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more