The Librarian

1 Conversation

The Librarian is the librarian of the Unseen University in Ankh-Morpork. A magical accident some time ago1 transformed him into an orangutan2, and he has resisted all attempts to turn him back since - indicating that he quite likes being a member of the ape family.

Whatever you do, don't call him a monkey! He intensely dislikes this, because he's an ape3. Most people who call him a monkey regret it, but not for very long.

The Librarian is;

  • Extremely strong.
  • Agile - he climbs over bookshelves rather than walk the aisles.
  • Brave - except when facing monsters from the Dungeon Dimensions.
  • Friendly - to those he likes.
  • The only wizard not intimidated by Archchancellor Ridcully.


He'll do anything for a banana.

It is the Librarian's duty to look after the books, make sure they don't escape, and chain up the most dangerous books. He knows the library like the back of his hand. The library, being bend by the weight of the knowledge in it is a curious place. Students have often found themselves looking up to the ceiling, only to find more shelves above them and other students wandering over the ceiling. The library is also conected to all other libraries through L-space. The Librarian has a nest under the desk in the library, with a tatty old blanket, where he hides when he's worried.

The Librarian is assisted in the library by Rincewind (when he's not running away from screaming hordes), the assistant librarian. Occasionally they drinks in The Drum and he eats all of the bar nuts.

The Librarian has an uneasy relationship with HEX, the younger wizards' computer. He seems to understand it quite well, better than Ponder Stibbons, who built it. This annoys the younger wizard.

The Librarian is (or was) a magician, but stays away from magic mostly, except the magic books. He never casts spells, prefering to read about them instead.

He is a fan of the arts, theatre and music, and throws things when he's not happy with the performance. He is also an accomplished pianist, being able to play with both hands and feet.

Likes

  • Books, obviously.
  • Bananas.
  • Baths and wearing his old green bath robe afterwards4.
  • Rincewind5, for some reason.

Dislikes

  • Being called a monkey.
  • Attempts to turn him back to human.
  • Students, who generally mess up the library.

In Interesting Times the reader learns that he is not a dominant male, since he is still a member of the Unseen University faculty. Ridcully is the dominant male and has the red cheeks to prove it.

1In The Light Fantastic.2Dictionary.com entry: An arboreal anthropoid ape (Pongo pygmaeus) of Borneo and Sumatra, having a shaggy reddish-brown coat, very long arms, and no tail.
3No tail, see?4The only time he ever wears clothes.5The worst magician ever.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A1925552

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more