The Development of Kingsport, Tennessee, USA Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

The Development of Kingsport, Tennessee, USA

2 Conversations

Kingsport, Tennessee was the first planned city in America and its development followed a carefully worked pattern.

Kingsport took its name from an early boatyard, William King's Port, and was initially chartered in 1822. Even before Kingsport's 'official' charter in 1917, the city had a well-established industrial base. This can be attributed in large part to the development of the railroad in 1910. The railroad's arrival opened the way for industry and commerce, heralding a new age of growth and prosperity.

Piece by piece, city fathers John B Dennis and George Carter laid plans for the future. They commissioned Massachusetts planner Dr John Nolen to develop America's first 'model city'. Nolen proposed placing industries along the river, with residential areas on the hills and on higher ground. Meanwhile, Columbia University in New York helped plan the school system.

Drawn by the emerging vision, business leaders began to take note of the town. Among the early recruits was George Eastman, who acquired a wood-distillation plant which is known today as Eastman Chemical Company. The headquarters of both Eastman Chemical Company and American Federated Glass are located in Kingsport. Other large industries include Arcata Graphics, Holliston Mills, Mead Paper, and Holston Army Ammunition Plant.

Downtown Kingsport has been the city's common thread throughout the years. Supported by the National Main Street Program, businesses and shoppers are returning to Kingsport's original shopping district. Historic landmarks such as Church Circle are also a big part of the draw.

Kingsport has an official website which can be found at http://kingsport.tricon.net.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A191567

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more