A Conversation for Taxis in Bangkok, Thailand

Horn Please!

Post 1

MDS

Never been to Thailand, but the tuk tuks (and their drivers) sound exactly like the ones in India and Pakistan. Most of the Indian tuk tuks are yellow and for some reason have the words 'Horn Please' written on the back. (I assume this is a request for other vehicles to sound their horns - which all of them seem happy to do at every hour of the day and night. This saves the tuk tuk driver from actually having to look around when he swerves across the middle of the road).

The fact that most Tuk tuk drivers in India speak English doesn't make the haggling any easier, but as with Thailand the amounts involved are ridiculously small. Walking away is also just as effective in lowering the price.

Good article, by the way. smiley - smiley


Horn Please!

Post 2

Judge Mental

Very good point! I think tuk-tuk drivers are just very proud of their horns. They certainly use them at every opportunity!

Judge


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more