A Conversation for Electric Guitars

The best electric guitar

Post 1

Different Strings

It is a moderately obscure fact that the finest electric guitar ever made is the Parker Fly.


The best electric guitar

Post 2

Researcher 167690

No, the Stat is the best electric ever - '52 sunburst


The best electric guitar

Post 3

Twenty-First Century Schizoid Man

Ooh, cant wait to see how this ends up. smiley - smiley


The best electric guitar

Post 4

Unlucky Rose

i think you'll find that mine is the best electric guitar. i base this assumption, purely on the fact that it belongs to ME....nah, just kidding-to be honest its got to be a strat


The best electric guitar

Post 5

Researcher 191012

I'll personally vote for the Gibson Les Paul, sunburst heritage (i think that one looks coolest) - or even for the ultimate in cool - Gibson Les Paul Ace Frehely Signature edition smiley - smiley only £8,000 or something.


The best electric guitar

Post 6

King Domhnal

A Gibson SG Special is far superior to bloody tinny, jangly, and far too heavy Stratocasters. Cort guitars are great too, as they offer both single- and double-coil pick-ups in the same place, just a push or pull on the volume knob to switch between the two modes.


The best electric guitar

Post 7

Farrago the guitar wielding lil girl

I'm going to have to say Squier Showmaster (Cheap cousin of fender). I prefer stratocasters but they're rather expensive for ickle students like me and I'm going to buy a Squier Showmaster. I have no idea which to buy tho:-s

Farrago


The best electric guitar

Post 8

Twenty-First Century Schizoid Man

I need someones opinion on this. Should I buy the bcrich warlock or an ibanez?


The best electric guitar

Post 9

manda1111

Sorry to butt in on your conversation, but if
"Researcher Farrago the guitar wielding lil girl"
would go back to there own page and then click on the "EDIT PAGE" button and then write a little something about your self then a ACE can come and welcome you there properly
Sorry for interrupting your conversation smiley - ok

Manda smiley - magic


The best electric guitar

Post 10

manda1111

And if "Researcher 191012" would "EDIT" there page aswell I would be Grateful smiley - ok

manda smiley - magic


The best electric guitar

Post 11

Twenty-First Century Schizoid Man

i think ill ill get the bcrich warlock. you can downtune it then lock it so it almost never goes out of tune. lets talk about amps now.


The best electric guitar

Post 12

Just Another Number

I'd go with the BC. For some reason Ibanez; fine guitars though they are, remind me of poodle-permed, MTV-friendly, FM-lite synth-rock groups from the 1980s!

As for the best guitar ever... I saw a lovely maple finish Strat in the window of Crane's in Cardiff not so long back. If I'd have had £850 in my back pocket I'd have gone home with it!

But then again, nothing sounds quite like a Les Paul, does it?


The best electric guitar

Post 13

Twenty-First Century Schizoid Man

But so many bands use ibanezs. It must be PRETTY good.


The best electric guitar

Post 14

Just Another Number

To be perfectly honest, I've never actually played one... Although I am led to believe they are technically fine guitars. My aversion to them is really based on the hairstyles of members of bands such as Van Halen and Hawkwind.

I expect this opinion is misplaced, and that someone else will post here saying that no member of any FM-lite AOR band from the eighties ever used an Ibanez.

But, hey!

I saw a nice flourescent green one once.


The best electric guitar

Post 15

Twenty-First Century Schizoid Man

Hawkwind cant be that bad. Lemmy was in it after all. Plus space rock is cool.


The best electric guitar

Post 16

Just Another Number

Exactly! smiley - winkeye


The best electric guitar

Post 17

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Midnight Oil and the Boomtown Rats used Ibanez, as well as XTC.

I don't believe I've ever heard of Van Halen and Hawkwind being used in the same sentence before!

The best electric guitar is one you can afford that stays in tune and has a neck that is comfortable for you.
Pickups and pots can always be replaced.

I personally think that the best guitar for me is the next one I'm going to build...

On the other hand, I have no complaints about the Parker Fly, but, given a choice, I would prefer an old Steinberger.

As far as amps go, please, god, don't make me use a tube amp again!


The best electric guitar

Post 18

Just Another Number

I hereby retract my comments relating to Hawkwind and Ibanez! (Not Van Halen though! smiley - winkeye)

Weren't Steinbergers those tiny little black square things?

I thought they looked great! And very popular for a while in the mid-eighties, what were they like to play?


The best electric guitar

Post 19

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Never had the guts to find out.
I have a tendency not to ask to hold the expensive instruments in the stores.

But I've always kind of liked the idea of not having to worry about whacking a headstock into things like fans and walls or worrying about the instrument falling.
I've seen a lot of broken Gibsons and Epiphones and Fenders with cracked neck pockets and loose bolts.

Most of Eddie Van Halen's instruments, contrary to adverstising, were heavily customised by him. While he has endorsed Ernie Ball and Music Man and Kramer and Jackson guitars, I don't remember him ever using an Ibanez. The Gibson Explorer found on the back of an early album was played live for a bit, but he chain-sawed it a bit too much and stopped using it.
Ibanez is an umbrella name. The instruments under it have been made by many smaller companies. The top of the line instruments are made, I believe, by the same people responsible for Washburn and Fender Squier, and possibly Cort...
With very few exceptions, I rate instruments on a one by one basis.
Brand names are a useful guide to shape, but not very good for playability. I know a fellow that has a beat up Tele custom that he bought in the early seventies. He also has a brand new Tele. The new one feels like a toy and has sharp edges and such. The old one fits like a glove.

I've handled thousands of guitars over the years, most of medium to poor quality and owned about eight. Rarely have I found an instrument that I was truly comfortable.
The custom animal I am playing now I have almost worn out, but there wasn't much to it in the first place. I have been playing it for over four years and when it is gone, I will probably assemble or have assembled another one.


The best electric guitar

Post 20

Just Another Number

So...

What you're saying is that the most important part of a guitar is not the manufacturer's logo transfer-label on the headstock...

...it's the bits of skin and sweat that get ingrained into the unique open-wood of the guitar over years of playing.

I think I see where see you're coming from.


Key: Complain about this post