A Conversation for Marmite

squeezy marmite - heresy

Post 1

Inomarka

Why, why, why?
I was worried when the new, squeezy marmite came out. Sure, the TV ad was reasonably funny, but still, I worried... would they change the recipe? Would they, in a worst-case scenario, change all marmite into squeezy format?

Some of my fears have been confirmed. My husband and I are in Moscow at the moment, and were marmite-less, since I dropped the (standard, glass) jar we brought with us and broke it. Someone kindly brought us some from the UK, but for ease of packing, weight, and fragility considerations, he got the new kind. Now, it does drop much better, this is true (ie, when you drop it, it doesnt shatter, sprinkling the contents with glass shards and rendering it inedible). But it is all wrong.

First of all, it's 200g, as opposed to 250g. I mention this, because for this, smaller, package, it is considerably more expensive!
Second, they have changed it. It is quite noticeably thinner, and has a less robust flavour - the yeastiness is far over-powered by the salt.
Finally, as a result of it being thinner and less flavourful, we are going through it about 4 times as fast (you seem to need double the amount of normal marmite).

Please, share your thoughts on the new squeezy marmite. (And while you're at it, will some UK-based people please reassure me that they have not in fact changed the recipe for normal, glass-jarred black gold?)


Key: Complain about this post

squeezy marmite - heresy

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more