A Conversation for Marmite

Marmite Virgin

Post 1

bolonium

Hi, I'm from the States and have never tried Marmite, nor had I heard of it until I saw this entry. I realize this is likely impossible judging by the number of arguments over its various uses, but could anyone try to describe what Marmite tastes like? Is there any way to describe it? Please enlighten me on the ways of the Marmite.


Marmite Virgin

Post 2

smiler

There is no way you can discribe how it tastes, it's horrible!!!! Do yourself a favour and stay well clear of it.


Marmite Virgin

Post 3

smiler

There is no possible way of telling you how horrible it tastes, do yourself a favour and stay well away from it.


Marmite Virgin

Post 4

Zantic - Who is this woman??

It's basically concentrated yeast extract. I think that there is probably something like it on sale in the states, but to be honest I wouldn't have a clue. It is a very strong flavor, which is of course the reason why people either love it or hate it. Describing it's taste however is nearly impossible, but it's very salty and should be eaten sparingly. A normal bottle, which is 125 grams (and it's a glass bottle, so really quite small) can last several years...

Zantic smiley - dragon


Marmite Virgin

Post 5

marMINE

I discovered Marmite on a trip to England. I am from the States and
was going back to my "roots" of Axbridge and Bristol. I happened upon Marmite while strolling through a market in Keynsham (by Bath).

I purchased it...not knowing really what it was and put in on some
cheese. To my delight it was wonderfully salty and tasty. If you think of consistancy and color of almost frozen molasis, then take away all the sweetness and think of the pan scrapings (kind of burnt bits)from a roast (like pot roast), you'll get the idea of the flavor. It is very intense.

I bought it and my wife thought it was awfull. This was good, for I could eat as much as I wanted without sharing. To my dismay, we found it in one of our more upscale groceries (I buy it by the truck load), but I caught my wife eating some and now we fight over the bottles. She now has her stash and I have mine. I run out often, so
I have to steal hers. I am hooked. I can eat it straight out of the jar, in fact I can eat almost a small jar without realizing it.

Yep, majorly hooked.

Cheers,

P.S. have a glass of water on hand.


Marmite Virgin

Post 6

shrinkwrapped

"I can eat it straight out of the jar, in fact I can eat almost a small jar without realizing it"

Crikey, that's hardcore!


Marmite Virgin

Post 7

Keseral - lost...

hardcore???? HARDCORE?????????? Its GORGEOUS!!!! Wonderful, Amazing! superlative! smiley - drool


Marmite Virgin

Post 8

Juwesm

Are Twiglets available in the US? They taste as though they are covered in a thin coating of Marmite. Though presumably by this stage you are no longer a Marmite VIrgin??


Marmite Virgin

Post 9

Rev Nick { Only the dead are without fear }

I finally met Marmite last evening, compliments of an ex-pat Brit. Very thinly on white toast. And loved it while my wife nearly retched.

The closest description of taste and smell I can find is a really, really dense version of Bovril beef flavoured extracts. Thus the reason for thin measures, I suppose. You don't want to burn out the taste buds in one bite.


Marmite Virgin

Post 10

aka Bel - A87832164

When I tried Marmite ( or Vitam R as it's called here) for the first time, I was completely unprepared,i.e. I spread it thick on my bread smiley - yuk - I think I could have swallowed a teaspoon of salt aswell smiley - laugh


Marmite Virgin

Post 11

mkirksmith1

Hi

I know you've tried it now. But you might give an idea to someone who has had anchovy on pizza by describing it as "somewhat akin to concentrated anhchovy paste"

I tried some "Gentleman's Relish" recently - which is a concentrated anchovy paste as far as I could tell - and the salty intense savoury taste was somewhat similar to Marmite or at least an impression. It is also spread very thinly on buttered toast.

I seem to remember Marmite described as "the poor man's Gentleman's Relish somewhere", so maybe other people have made the connection too.

m.


Key: Complain about this post