A Conversation for The 'London Overground' Network

Watford DC & North London Lines

Post 1

RockitRon

Excellent entry!

Just a couple of things that spring to mind:

You say that Bakerloo Line running was cut back to Harrow & Wealdstone in the 1930s. However, I distinctly remember them (and have a map dated circa 1970 showing them) running to Watford well into the 1970s. The Tfl and other websites show the service being cut back to Stonebridge Park in September 1982 and restored to Harrow in June 1984.

The proposed Croxley Rail Link certainly has the backing of TfL but last I heard still awaits a decision from Government about funding.

A curiosity of the North London Line, which I only learned from the company that produces the drivers-view videos, is that at Acton Central it now switches between third rail (from Richmond) and overhead power supply (beyond). Don't know when this started; it was certainly all third rail in the days when it terminated at Broad Street.


Watford DC & North London Lines

Post 2

AlexAshman


smiley - cheers

I'm continually confused by the Bakerloo line cutting back and being extended again - I think 1930s is a typo, though, which should read '1980s'.

As for the overhead power supply - I don't think Electrostars do the whole third rail and overhead thing, though services like Thameslink do.


Watford DC & North London Lines

Post 3

RockitRon

Yes, it was "filmed on a Class 313 EMU before withdrawal in 2006" (real enthusiasts will no doubt know what that means).

Just in case anyone thought I was being pedantic, my post was more in response to the memories that your piece stirred - as a child in the 50s/60s, watching the electric trains (and the steam, later diesels of what is now the West Coast Main Line) from a bridge near where we lived, and going at least once a year to Kew Gardens (admittance threepence!).

smiley - cheers


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more