Sporting With Egon (19.10)

0 Conversations

Sporting Obituaries

Nothing brings home to me the very fleeting nature of life on this planet to me quite like the premature deaths of professional sportsmen whose health and fitness is far beyond the rest of us. The deaths of the likes of Ben Hollioake and Marc-Vivien Foe made an indelible mark on me, as did the deaths this week of two more sportsmen:

Paul Hunter was a Yorkshire snooker player, an uncharacteristicly young, fit and healthy example of his profession. He famously had sex with wife Lindsey in the breaks of all three Masters finals he won (in each case he was behind before the sex). Paul died on Tuesday at the age of 27 as a result of stomach cancer.

Cory Lidle was a major-league baseball pitcher for the New York Yankees (4-3 since joining the Yankees). He joined the Yankees from the Philadelphia Phillies in July this year, having previously played for the New York Mets, Oakland Athletics, Tampa Bay Devil Rays, Toronto Blue Jays and Cincinatti Reds. On Wednesday, Lidle was one of four people who died when his aeroplane crashed into a fifty-storey aparment building in the Lower East Side of Manhattan, New York City.

Both Hunter and Lidle leave behind a wife and son. My best wihes go out to them and also to the families of the others who died in the same plane crash as Lidle.

Sporting With Egon Archive

Egon

19.10.06 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A16337108

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more