A Conversation for The Salvation Army

TV

Post 1

Al Johnston

In the Goodies' episode "Scoutrageous" they were augmented by the Salvation Navy and Salvation Air Force...


TV

Post 2

Icy North

In the Salvation Navy, you swap the tambourine for a submarine.


TV

Post 3

Josephus

It is not well known, but there really was a Salvation Navy.

It started with the conversion of several trawler skippers at Grimsby in 1880. A series of special events and meetings at sea followed.

In 1885/6 The Salvation Navy, operated a 29 tonne stream yacht, the SS 'Iole', until she was lost on a sandbank outside Hull, 19th June 1886.

A motor launch 'Jerry McAuley' was operated by the Salvation Navy in New York, in the early 20th century, and in the early 1960s a canal ministry was carried out using the N.B. 'Salvo'

There has never been a 'Salvation Air Force', but the Salvation Army has operated several aircraft, especially in Australia.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more