A Conversation for Compass Points of Britain

been there, done that

Post 1

wsfn

I've been to the real and the usual points that are mentioned...each is different. Hope to take my children some day.

wsfn


been there, done that

Post 2

Deek

Hi wsfn,smiley - bigeyes I hope you do. Some of the scenery, especially in Scotland is really wild, (as in Beautiful). I intend to go back again one of these days. My one trip to Dunnet head was fleeting on a cold wet & windy September day, it was impressive. John o'Groats was rather less so. You have probably been thro Rannoch Moor/Glenco, One of the most desolate spots in the country but Beautiful.Best Wishes A.M.


been there, done that

Post 3

wsfn

My ex-in-laws lived in Tongue (right up on the north coast) for several years and although there are few trees in the area, it is oddly lovely. I did especially enjoy one hitch hike on and near Isle of Skye and a train ride to (i've forgotten the name but its a tiny fishing village where you can take a ferry to some of the Hebredes). I like the extream north landscape the most (possibly because I am from very flat, dry, hot, middle US). The kidlings will visit "little Grandma" in Lancashire with me someday, and then we will do it all up right. For now money is too tight, but we will get there!

wsfn


been there, done that

Post 4

Deek

Hi again wsfn,smiley - bigeyes. Sorry about the delay in replying but I've just got back from my hol's. It seems I must have 'just' missed you as I went to your part of the world doing the sights. Colorado, Arizona, Nevada and California. Most of it certainly wasn't flat though. Is that west of where you are? A.M.


flat land

Post 5

wsfn

I am a long way off from Colorado, et al...and most of those states are in mountains (Rockeies). I am in the mid-west which Colorado is west of. As a matter of fact I am in Ohio... about as far east as you can go and still be considered mid-west. If you are looking for flat land, check out Kansas. I once drove from Illinois (Chicago) through Kansas City (which is in Missouri NOT Kansas) and Kansas to Denver Colorado. Most of Kansas is so flat you can see Colorado for hours before you get there. I spent my holidays in Pennsylvania in the mountains (much lower and older than the rockies). Hope you enjoyed your visit. Mum can't afford to come see the boys this year, so maybe we can go next spring. Save, save, save...nice dream!

wsfn


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more