The h2g2 Post Recipe

1 Conversation

Vegetarian Lasagne

If you use a whole bag of frozen veggie mince this will feed about ten to fifteen people. With veggie mince it's all about adding in layers of flavour to avoid a bland taste. You will need a very large baking tin for this. I suggest a large turkey tin.

Ingredients

  • 1 bag of Realeat Frozen Veggie Mince (available from Tesco or most veggie stores)
  • 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
  • 2 medium size onions
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • Oil for frying
  • 2 Vegetable stock cubes
  • Soy sauce
  • Balsamic vinegar
  • Salt and black pepper to taste
  • Fresh or dried herbs (oregano and basil)
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons tomato puree
  • Red wine optional
  • Couple of packets of pre-cooked type of lasagna sheets
  • 1lb - 450g - cheese, grated
  • 2oz - 50g - butter or margarine
  • 1 tablespoon corn flour (I like to use whole meal self raising flour)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1-1½pt 600-900ml - whole milk

MInce Filling

  • Pre-heat oven to Gas Mark 6, electric 400°F or 200°C.
  • Heat oil in a wok or very large saucepan.
  • Fry the finely chopped onion and grated or chopped garlic.
  • Add bag of mince.
  • Toss until coated with oil and browning.
  • Add vinegar, soy sauce, salt and pepper, herbs, stock cubes, sugar and tomato puree. Mix well.
  • Add tinned tomatoes.
  • Add in about a pint of water. Stir and turn down heat.
  • Simmer. This type of veggie mince absorbs water so you might have to keep adding to stop it from burning or getting too thick.

While this is cooking make the Cheese Sauce.

  • Melt butter or margerine in fairly large saucepan.
  • Take off heat. Blend in the flour or corn flour with a little of the milk until a smooth consistency is reached.
  • Add the rest of the pint and return to low heat. Stir all the time until it starts to thicken. Stir faster to avoid lumps!
  • When it has bubbled for a few minutes add about half the cheese and the salt and pepper. Add more milk if necessary to thin it but don't make it too runny.
  • Turn off heat and set aside until mince is done.

Composition

  • Line the bottom of the tin with lasagna sheets.
  • Add a layer of mince and a thin layer of cheese sauce.
  • Add another layer of lasagna and so on until you have used all components, making sure you leave enough lasagna for the top and sauce to cover it.
  • Spread the rest of the cheese on top and bake in an oven for about 40 minutes.

For wheat and dairy intolerant

Use wheat-free lasagne sheets, available from health food stores and even the larger tesco stores.

Use soya milk and Cheezly (a dairy-free cheese substitute from health food shops) for the sauce, or make a white sauce with soya milk and add a vegetable oxo cube.

Instead of veggie mince which is made from wheat, do a big pan of chopped mixed veg and canned tomatoes with italian herbs, balsamic vinegar, a teaspoon of sugar, salt and pepper. Use this in layers with the wheat-free lasagne and soya white sauce.

I make this for my grandson who is dairy intolerant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We would also be happy to feature your own personal favourite recipe
but do remember that you should not submit anything which may be copyright. Send your suggestions or recipes to The Post Team.

The Recipe Archive

spiderbaby

13.07.06 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A13072826

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more