A Conversation for Tips for Travelling in Mexico

It's the food, not the water

Post 1

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

According to an article in New Scientist, levels of contamination in restaurants in Mexico were 1000 times more than in restaurants in Houston. There were repeated cases of nasty virulent strains of E.coli that account for half of all cases of travellers diarrhoea. The bugs come from numan faeces and contaimate spicy condiments and sauces via human unwashed hands. smiley - yuk 'Most people think it's the water, but it's not', said the bloke whose been testing food in Mexico and elsewhere for nearly 30 years. He found that bad foor accounted for about 90% of travellers' diarrhoea.

The finding of contaimated sauces was a surprising one, as the scientist thought that the sauces would be safe, since the acid content is quite high. In Mexico, the same sauces sit on the table all day. Not only are they unrefrigerated, but consecutive customers stick their fingers in them. Mmm ...

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


It's the food, not the water

Post 2

Number Six

I have to say I find that very plausible. I was pretty careful with what water I drank, but that didn't ensure a completely trouble-free stay. That would explain it.

I was never in serious trouble, though.

The thing is, I think the water's *guaranteed* to make you *really* ill!

smiley - mod


It's the food, not the water

Post 3

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I suspect the correct course of action is to be wary of either. smiley - yuk

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more