Sporting With Egon

0 Conversations

Egon is still away so he has entrusted his column to several a/k/a Random.

My goodness gracious sakes' alive, can it really be October already? I guess so, the baseball pennant races and the college and pro football seasons are dominating sports news, but there's this other niggling little item I see here and there while surfing the 'net for MORE sports news, NOW, that has quite taken my interest. This 'little' matter of the Women's World Cup 2003 in the game Brits call football and Americans call soccer.

The tournament kicked off last weekend with games in six cities from coast-to-coast (right to left on your maps: Boston, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Columbus, Ohio, Carson (California) and Portland (Oregon.) Two of the best websites to follow the action are at cnn.com/soccer and at soccernet with up-to-date scores and suchlike, plus another one that's too long to name I only get reference to from time to time, and only in certain newspapers.

China was slated to host the tournament, held every four years, but fear over the SARS outbreak forced a quick shift in May to the States, where event organizers had to make a quick scramble for venues, selling tickets, accomodations for the teams from across the world, arrangements for the worldwide media and (of course!) souvenirs and other trinkets.

Participating teams include the US (winners in '91 and '99), Sweden (the '95 winner), North and South Korea (that should be an interesting matchup if they both get that far), Nigeria, Norway, Brazil, France and Germany (another longshot matchup), Canada, Japan and Argentina, along with China, Australia, Russia and Ghana.

Which leads me to wonder... I know it's an extremely popular sport in England, but are there women's leagues? (Things That Make Me Say Hummmm.)

So anyway, the 16 teams are split into four random divisions and play each other in round one, the best records meet in the quarterfinals, then the semifinals, to the finals in California later this month. Amazingly, 19 of the games are being televised, by ESPN, ESPN2 and the finals on national over-the-air broadcast with the ABC network, so those with 'premium' teevee services can watch a good bit of the competition.

And between the teevee remote and this here keyboard, I'm sure to get carpal tunnel, tunnel vision, and I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel for this sports junkie. Egon has informed me he's limited in internet access, but he expects to be back shortly, but I'm rather enjoying these forays into international sports.

So once again, this is Several, a/k/a Random, who always looks both ways at railroad crossings, over and out.

Sporting With Egon Archive

Several a.k.a. Random  smiley - vampiresmiley - musicalnote

25.09.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1297118

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more