A Conversation for English Slang

English Slang-"Bob's Your Uncle."

Post 1

ElmyraK

I am pulling this one out of nowhere or is this really an English slang term? What exactly does it mean? I have the impression that saying "Bob's your uncle" simply means "There you go", or something similar. Please tell me I am not completely wrong about this, so I don't have to hang my head in shame.


English Slang-"Bob's Your Uncle."

Post 2

CZ

Don't be disheartened.

'Bob's Your Uncle' is actually a genealogical term meaning, quite literally - 'Robert is your Mothers Brother'.

Now, were you in any sort of distress about the Identity of Robert and his connection with your Mother, you should now be confident that everything is cool, legal and perfectly natural (excluding Wales and Gloucestershire).

The phrase 'Bob's Your Uncle' should fill you with that same sense of ease.


English Slang-"Bob's Your Uncle."

Post 3

Potholer

You're right, it's similar to 'you're home free' - usually, it's at the end of a list of directions or intructions, indicating that if you've done everything right up to that point, you've basically finished, or that anyone but an idiot could work out any remaining steps themselves.


English Slang-"Bob's Your Uncle."

Post 4

James loves you baby

"Bob's your uncle" is a reference to Balfour becoming Prime Minister of the U.K. in 1902. His uncle, Robert, Lord Salisbury, who was stepping down from that office arranged for him to be given it.


English Slang-"Bob's Your Uncle."

Post 5

Jenny and Fred the cheese

James loves you baby, you need to do something to your page or no-one will be able to greet you or know anything about you.


English Slang-"Bob's Your Uncle."

Post 6

chris wiggins

You are right with your assumption of the meaining, it can also mean "I've just done that for you" don't ask me where it came from though!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more