A Conversation for Worcestershire Sauce

Pronounced

Post 1

parlau

Wooster sorce!

Good stuff aint it?


AG


Pronounced

Post 2

Drool Frood the Second

Love it.Get some on yer cheese on toast!!!!!!
I put it in loads of things.
Goes great in Spag bol!!!!


Pronounced

Post 3

Smeg Head

I'm glad somebody corrected the hideous mistake made on the guide entry. I was shocked to see how it "supposed" to be pronounced. I would like to know where the author is from and whether they have ever visited the city of Worcester? Nobody there ever pronounces it like that. If you've ever seen Jeeves and Wooster then the correct way of pronouncing Worcester is the same as Bertie's surname. And it is lovely!


Pronounced

Post 4

parlau

I reckon the guide entry person was just being patronising to the citizens of the USA?

AG


Pronounced

Post 5

Smeg Head

I totally agree!! The best i've heard was a French girl very drunk at a party trying to pronounce it! I did my utmost to keep a straight face!! I had to leave her eventually because of the amount of phlegm being projected in my direction.


Pronounced

Post 6

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

Best sauce ever.
Esp in cottage pie.


Pronounced

Post 7

benjymous

Does this qualify as the longest time taken to answer a question?

I always pronounced Wooster similar to you pronounce rooster (with an oo sound in it). Whereas I have pronounced Worcester "wuss ter" for my whole life (and yes, I was born there, and have lived there all my life, bar now, when I had to move coz of a job. damn. confused myself now.)

As for the the "woos tah" pronounciation, it's is equally valid (thanks to the fact that many of the towns inhabitants have a habit of forgetting the last constanant of a word)

And I haven't got anything against Americans, honest. In fact my great-grandfather was american, until a little incident involving miners and the starting of strikes.


Pronounced

Post 8

clzoomer- a bit woobly

Yanks also tend to pronounce the *shire* part phonetically as opposed to *shure*. As a Canuck with a mid-Atlantic accent I use *shure*.


Pronounced

Post 9

R#35555(Dust and Lint Department)

What a novel concept...pronounceing all the letters in a word. Think of all the money we could save in ink by eliminating those darn extra letters. And we wouldn't have to have spend extra ink to show us how to pronounce them.


Pronounced

Post 10

Shipwrecked

As a Canadian, I've always pronounced it "wooster sauce" but now I'm confused. If a native of Worcester calls that city "wusster" why then does he say "wooster sauce" rather than "wusster sauce"? Is it a question of regional versus national pronunciation of the city's name? (i.e. do most British pronounce the city's name "wooster" and thus that pronunciation was used in the nationwide advertisements for the sauce?)


Pronounced

Post 11

eDJ_usa

I try to keep one of my empty bottles of it on hand for when there are small children running about the kitchen when I'm trying to cook. I relish pronouncing every phoneme as I have them repeat it several times with me before I hand them the bottle and send them back to their dads & uncles who are trying to watch football on the television. Nothing like having little hooligans mucking about saying Worchestershire over and over to pique their their concentration during the game.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying my serenity in the kitchen again. Not just any condiment can produce that result can it ?


Pronounced

Post 12

4me-2me (Please don't 8me)

I work with a smiley - chef who call it: The English Sauce...

I learn to pronouce it correctly with my English teacher who let us repeat after him the name (syllable by syllable) of the sauce quite a lot.


Key: Complain about this post