A Conversation for Java - the Programming Language

Java

Post 1

wsfn

The Sun Microsystems Corporation has an office in my building. They work on Java and other products here. They rarely come out, and most look like they could use some REAL sun. Having taken a course in Java, and disliking coffee, I like Java. For the web, I like HTML for lots of things too. Each has its place under the sun. Cute article. Wish I could add some tidbits regarding the advent of the term java -- the coffee... somebody help.

wsfn


Java

Post 2

The Magpie

Java is actually a very useful language. I started a new job 3 weeks ago and have been thrown in at the deep end of using Java for database integration with web applications. Great fun.

As for where the name came from. Java was originally conceived as a language that could be used to control household appliances. For example, you could connect to your home from a remote site and turn the heating on, or switch on teh oven so that your food was ready when you got home, or turn on the coffe maker (hence the name of Java).

So there we have it....


Java

Post 3

The Wisest Fool

The people who created Java tell a slightly different story.
They were sitting in a coffee shop somewhere in Silicon Valley and were tossing around various functional but dull names to give their new language, when one of them looked at their coffee cup and came up with the name.


Java

Post 4

wsfn

NOT the bloody programming language...COFFEE, we've all heard the programming name stories. I wanted to know where the name for the drink orriginated.

Thanks though,

wsfn


Wake Up and smell the programming language

Post 5

The Wisest Fool

OOOOooooo....handbags.

I was replying to The Magpie's post.

No-one seems to have replied to my "Language of Choice?" critique yet.
I thought it might be reasonable to talk about the article before delving into coffee related stuff. I'm sure there's got to be a coffee forum somewhere.


Wake Up and smell the programming language

Post 6

wsfn

Actually I hate coffee, I would rather go to an "idiom" forum.

Thanks,

wsfn


Java

Post 7

WebMink

The apocryphal tale goes that, seeing the word 'Java' on a crate of coffee beans, primaeval Americans with no grasp of geography beyond the next horse trough believed the word to describe the contents of the box rather than its origin, hence the current usage. Ironically, the island of Java (main landmass of Indonesia) is much better at producing excellent tea...

Regards

WebMink


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more