A Conversation for Old Wives' Tales

The Devil

Post 1

Manic Depressive

Ok so if you spill the salt you're supposed to throw it over your left shoulder immediately. Because when you spill it the devil appears above your left shoulder and you're suppposed to blind him with the salt. If you don't do this then the devil takes you over.
I have to say that this IS true cos my sister didn't do it once and she is the most horrible person that I have ever had the misfortune to meet.
byeeee.


The Devil

Post 2

Cheerful Dragon

This makes me wonder how much salt my sister spilt in her youth. Also, how much salt my brother-in-law spilt (that's my husband's brother, not my sister's husband. My sister's first husband was really nice and we're still friend with him - he didn't deserve my sister. Her current husband is probably OK)


The Devil

Post 3

Farquar

What kind of luck is it if you throw the salt into some random passerby's eyes?


The Devil

Post 4

Manic Depressive

Well I reckon it must be some kind of medium luck to throw salt into a passerbys eyes. For while this may make some boring people stop talking to you and leave you in peace. That's good luck. But if you inadvertatly chucked salt into the queen's eyes you'd probably get put in the tower of london. That's bad luck.


The Devil

Post 5

Farquar

Alternately, that passerby might really be an assasin, who is charged with your death. That being the case, I think it would be good luck.


The Devil

Post 6

RiffRaff

Or possibly a masochist, who really gets off on having salt thrown in his eyes.

Congratulations! You've just made a new friend!


The Devil

Post 7

NeverBob

I don't believe that a masochist contantly hanging about your left shoulder waiting for you to spill salt again could be considered good luck.


The Devil

Post 8

Grey

Or you could toss it right onto the rim of a margarita glass, which *would* be good luck.

(Even if you don't like margaritas--they can be a wonderful temptation for others.)


The Devil

Post 9

Farquar

Ahhh, but if it is a temptation for you, and you drink too many, and wake up the next day with a hangove that would kill an elephant, i would say that was bad luck.


The Devil

Post 10

NeverBob

Unless, of course, due to the hangover you immediately spilled some more salt on the rim of a margarita glass.


The Devil

Post 11

RiffRaff

S'right - hair of the devil wot bit you.


The Devil

Post 12

Grey

No hair in my drink, thanks.


The Devil

Post 13

Farquar

Yes, I prefer mine in a dirty glass.


The Devil

Post 14

NeverBob

I'll take a large mug, accompanied by a pitcher, bought by a spend-thrift who is having a good day but feels no need whatsoever to tell me about it.


Key: Complain about this post