A Conversation for Northern Gannets

Years ago...

Post 1

LL Waz

I thought I'd read something about young gannets not being able to fly when they leave the nest. They just parachute down into the sea and start swimming south, learning to fly en route sometime. But I've never been able to find this since. Did I dream it or does anyone know?

I was trying to find out after rescuing a young gannet from a dog on a beach. They have a fierce bite.


Years ago...

Post 2

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Acronymous Borg comes in scanning for new drones to be albatrossimilated
"There are some ornithologists listed on the pages of the 'Save the Albatross' project. Perhaps they know this story.

I recently heard a documentary about gannet chicks unexperienced in flight jumping out of there (cliff) nests and fly off over the sea to the feeding grounds. No swimming in this documentary however. I guess they also have not learned to swim either. Any young falling into the water will have to get on land, dry, climb high enough and try again. Little chance however if they do. . . . "


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more