A Conversation for Why Mosquitoes Must Die

UPDATE: Mosquitoes may be becoming resistant to DEET

Post 1

Baron Grim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21519998

It still seems to work very well, but when individual mosquitoes are re-exposed to DEET they aren't repelled as strongly. Also, some individual species are becoming much more tolerant of it.


UPDATE: Mosquitoes may be becoming resistant to DEET

Post 2

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

Hi BG

Would you like the curators to actually update the Entry itself? The link you've provided seems excellent. As is this Entry, which I have always considered to be one of the best I've read about mosquitoes worldwide.


UPDATE: Mosquitoes may be becoming resistant to DEET

Post 3

Baron Grim

I'm not sure. I think this post will suffice for now. I think until there are some real breakthroughs in insect repellent science it can stand as it is. I have read a few things over the years about possible alternatives to DEET and also about how specifically DEET works that could be incorporated into the article but until things start being sold to the consumer, I don't see the need to rewrite much of it.


UPDATE: Mosquitoes may be becoming resistant to DEET

Post 4

Lanzababy - Guide Editor

smiley - smiley

okay, that's fine

- I've never found DEET to work for me, I have to make sure to cover bare arms/legs etc and sleep under mosquito net. They still manage to find ways to sneak a bite, on occasion.


UPDATE: Mosquitoes may be becoming resistant to DEET

Post 5

Baron Grim

You might see if you can find some Permethrin treated clothing. I've seen some for sale at Duluth Trading in North America. If a skeeter lands on the cloth, it dies.

You can also treat clothing yourself if you can find a supplier.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more