The Bookworm Club Review

1 Conversation

Bookworms by Amy the Ant

All reviews are written by members of The H2G2 Bookworm's Club. We hope this review is helpful and that we'll see you airing your views at the Club soon.

High Society, Ben Elton

Reviewed by Pinwheel Pearl

Regular readers of this column1 may have noticed that the reviews are generally concerned with one particularly good or bad element of the novel in question. Unfortunately, it is rare2 to find this sort of depth in the book pages of major magazines.

It was this inadequacy in the following review from Sainsbury's Magazine that spurred me to write this. For fear of a lawsuit, may I just point out that I have nothing against Sainsbury's or its magazine.

Ben Elton takes on the murky world of drugs in his latest novel High Society. In the course of a narrative that sweeps through every level of society-from celebrities to crack dealers-Elton provides irrefutable evidence that the war on drugs has already been lost. Yet this is no mere polemic. Strong characterisation and an action-packed plot, along with a heady mix of sleaze and romance,
make this a highly entertaining read. Elton just gets better and better.

Admittedly, the above isn't too bad. But it only just touches on the element that impressed me most, the argument for and against the legalisation of drugs that forms the core of this novel.

Again, regular readers3 will have spotted that I like a book to make me think. High Society certainly does that. I found myself changing my opinions and holding a moral debate in my head. Rest assured, for
those who read Ben Elton for his humour, it is here in expected abundance, and the argument is presented in a straight forward way.

I'd always thought that the topic was a simple one, drugs are BAD, and should all be BANNED. Not once does Elton say that drugs are good, but he does question the intelligence of the current law.

The main story is that of Peter Paget, an MP campaigning to legalise ALL drugs. This initially had me reeling in horror. Legalise the likes of heroin, and cocaine? But, using the sub plots in the book, most notably a young heroin addicted prostitute, you can gradually see the
sense. The main point (citing heroin as an example) seems to be that:

  • Heroin users currently get all manner of diseases from sharing dirty needles, as well as the dangers of getting impure products.
  • If specialist centres were around so that users could go there, and be provided with fresh needles, plus decent 'gear', then using would be safer.
  • It would therefore be easier to wean users off drugs.
Well, it made sense to me. Other points that have been made on this issue is that some of the 'glamour' of using would be taken off. It wouldn't be illegal, so it wouldn't be 'naughty', or going against the
system. This is a well-worn argument.

By using such a wide spectrum of characters, Elton manages to show all the different levels of drug using, and the way they shape our lives. It isn't the most delicate of books, but I don't think it should have been. It is widely known that using drugs isn't a pleasant experience in the long run, so why should a book on the subject be? I hope this book raises a few eyebrows, and makes people to a bit of reconsidering. It would appear that this is one argument that's not quite so clear cut as you might think.

I'd just like to make clear, in view of the Editorial Policy and the debate on it currently taking place, that I DO NOT condone the use of drugs, and never would. It is to be hoped that I will never be tempted to try them myself; I certainly have no plans to. I do not expect anyone to agree with the opinions expressed here (I'm sure Ben Elton wouldn't either), but I thought that the book was worth commenting on, so here are my comments. Thank you for reading this review, Pinwheel Pearl.

The Bookworm Club Review
Archive

31.07.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Do we have regular readers?2Don't yell-it's just my opinion...3I know there's at least one...

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A1125712

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more