A Conversation for Manchester United and the ABUs

It is a well known fact that...

Post 1

J'au-æmne

... most sentences introduced by the phrase "It is a well known fact that..." mean that the author has no evidence for the "fact" that is about to be quoted, and just hopes its true.

Having lived in Manchester all my life, I know *lots* of genuine united supporters, and I don't appreciate the generalisations expressed in this entry. I saw the local people at United's victory parade last year; I saw that they weren't just a bunch of foreigners who'd flown in for the occasion from Japan and China.

Joanna

PS Why does this artice have no sub-ed listed?


It is a well known fact that...

Post 2

Demon Drawer

I read a survey recently that stated that the home fans with the greatest average distance travelled to the match was at Old Trafford. I will try and dig up the stats for you if you like.

BTW there are season ticket holders at Old Trafford who live and work in London. Apart from London based players no-one else has as many London based season ticket holders I will as I said try and retrieve the info.


It is a well known fact that...

Post 3

J'au-æmne

I don't deny that there are lots and lots of fans of Man U who don't live in Manchester; I also think its silly. Although its worth remembering too that Manchester United's ground, since the breakup of Greater Manchester, isn't even in Manchester.
But this article to me seemed insulting to those Manchester United fans who live in Manchester.... these people do exist, I meet them every day.


It is a well known fact that...

Post 4

Demon Drawer

Fair enough Joanna, but there are at least 30,000 fans at Old Trafford every week who live nearer another football team or 30 than Man U. It really is affecting the nationwide teams and before you ask yes I do support my local Irish league team whenever bowls allows me to.


It is a well known fact that...

Post 5

J'au-æmne

I don't disagree that united probably has too much money, and is too comercialised, and I don't really disagree with most of this article.
What I don't like is the "well known fact" with no source data, the assertation that you don't find united fans in Manchester. I *know* this is untrue, and as such shouldn't be presented in the Guide as fact. I also know that you'll probably say I'm taking this too seriously and making a mountain out of a molehill, which I may be... but this article upset me, because it seems derogatory of my city.


It is a well known fact that...

Post 6

Tommy T

It is a good job that you feel so strongly about those seven words in the middle of the article, you obviously have strong views about the English language.

I do, in fact, live in Manchester as well, and I too meet all of the Mancunian Man U fans of whom you speak. What I am complaining about isn't the fact that ALL Man U fans live a good distance from Old Trafford, because I know they don't. It's just that you seem to come across them all over the world. If you saw someone with a Man City shirt on (who wasn't English) in America I would be surprised.

The other thing is the attitude of these Man U fans. Again, it is not all, but a large percentage (more than half) of the Man U fans that I meet have the kind of attitude that I am complaining about. They have to remind you of what they have won and when. I just enjoy seeing them lose, and the excuses that I hear as to why they lost, while any other football fan would just sit back and accept it.

I'm sorry if I am insulting you or YOUR city, but I suppose that it is MY city as well, and so I feel that I have the right to speak out.


It is a well known fact that...

Post 7

J'au-æmne

PS Gone With the wind? I know its probably overdone.... but I loved Scarlet's dresses when I was small.


It is a well known fact that...

Post 8

J'au-æmne

OOps... posted in the wrong placesmiley - winkeye

What I meant to say is that I don't object to people criticising the attitude of some Man U fans, it can be maddening. But I don't like the idea that there are no decent ones, when some of my best friends are.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more