A Conversation for Down where the Southern Cross the Dog: The Beginnings of the Blues

recent website

Post 21

several, a/k/a random

point well taken, Shark---an act like Keb Mo' that pushes it a little bit in showing the roots and then saying, 'and if you can do that, you can also do this' doesn't get the attention---or if he does, it's the 'purists' whining again.
smiley - musicalnote


recent website

Post 22

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like


Heh. I saw the Top on their recent Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers tour. they were superb and much beer was drunk and hell raised...smiley - devilsmiley - cider

In fact, you can read all about it here;

A1134262

smiley - shark


recent website

Post 23

tonemonkey(Steve Cooper, of BLiM fame (?!) contact me!)

I remember seeing Keb for the first time at the London Blues Festival, He floored me, completely. John Hammond followed him and ,by comparison, flopped.

The Lesson? You must innovate, and push boundaries to survive. John was an excelent interpretor of Robert Johnsons works that night. But *added* nothing. See that how you will, but for me, if it isn't fresh, it does not get my hair on end.


recent website

Post 24

several, a/k/a random

fortunately or unfortunately, the rhythms and blues of daily life occupy most of my time nowadays. transforming the power of the blues and gospel blues (and country blues) into what gets me out of bed every morning, noon and night seems to be the best way i can keep my equilibrium, or source of carryin' on carryin' on the past 30-plus years....'i've been dazed and confused so song it's not true."
smiley - musicalnote


recent website

Post 25

tonemonkey(Steve Cooper, of BLiM fame (?!) contact me!)

That I can understand, my point, I don't think was clear. Robert Johnson et al were innovating, pushing beyond accepted borders, and that is just what John didn't do that night. Keb however was himself, and seemed full of life and vitality.

I could understand if Mr Hammond was nervous following that one!


recent website

Post 26

jaz'd(ace & yada yada *sigh* chocolate yada)

I agree on Keb'Mo, tonemonkey...although I've never really had a chance to compare him (or wasn't really thinking comparatively) when I saw him at our local Folk music festival -http://www.edmontonfolkfest.org - last year. My focus was on the music in general, & I had the opportunity to catch him both solo & in a workshop/session with Olu Dara & other musicians of equivalent...magnitude. He is a noteworthy performer.

smiley - cool



recent website

Post 27

several, a/k/a random

fortunately or unfortunately, the rhythms and blues of daily life occupy most of my time nowadays. transforming the power of the blues and gospel blues (and country blues) into what gets me out of bed every morning, noon and night seems to be the best way i can keep my equilibrium, or source of carryin' on carryin' on the past 30-plus years....'i've been dazed and confused so song it's not true."
smiley - musicalnote


recent website

Post 28

several, a/k/a random

apologies for the double postings, me and this machine ain't seein' eye-to-eye lately and whopping this box o'circuits upside its' silly haid is no remedy.
'oh, lord, won't you buy me....'
smiley - musicalnote


recent website

Post 29

August Darnell

When Peter Greens 'Splinter Group' got an Grammy award for the 'Robert Johnson Songbook', I got the feeling it was more out of sympathy for his 'comeback' than anything musical.

The various tracks I heard on the radio sounded fairly pedestrian to me.

Dammit, I keep clicking the Blues Peice to get more references and all I get is 'page expired'. Can someone resusitate it?


recent website

Post 30

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like


I've seen peter Green live since his comeback and it's a tricky thing. I wasn't impressed and it seemed to me that the Splinter Group carried him.

Not struck overly with Keb' Mo, either. I find his recorded work a little flat and I've never seen him live. I actually prefer Alvin Youngblood hart's stuff.

John Hammond should be declared a national treasure. I saw him support John Lee Hooker and Albert Collins on different ocasions, and i think Wicked Grin, his album of Tom Waits covers, is one of the best blues albums of recent years in my humble opinion.

smiley - shark


recent website

Post 31

August Darnell

I was just goin to mention Alvin Young-Hart.

Aren't the White Stripes and the Soledad Bros. essentially blues based. And talking bout Meat and Hearts etc...some of Capt. Beefhearts stuff is pretty good before he went all artistic on us. In fact he was one of the best white blues singers around.


Key: Complain about this post