A Conversation for How to Look after Cacti

Caring cor Cacti in the Winter months

Post 1

plesaura

Hi,

I had a mild disaster during the summer with my small collection of cacti - I went away for a couple weeks, left them with plenty of water, but when I returned several palnts looked a bit sad and eventually rotted and died. I think it was a combination of over watering and the weather not being that sunny while I was away. This had always worked in the past.

Anyway, I decided to put the remainder of the cacti out in the garden in a very sunny (normally) south facing amongst the vegetables. Surprisely, all the plants survived and actually thrived - some have doubled is size and a couple actually flowered for a second time.

Now, my dilema is:

Q1: When should I bring them inside for the winter?
Q2: Should I water them during the winter months?
Q1: Some pots need to be repotted - Do I do this now or in th spring?

I have never consider putting my cacti outside, but the transformation of my plants is quite simply amazing, but now I am not sure how to bring them back inside for the harsh winter months.

I welcome and advice, comments

Regards

PS













Caring for Cacti in the Winter months

Post 2

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

1. Cacti should be brought indoors before the first frost is expected. When I lived in London (and before I had a greenhouse) I usually brought mine inside in early to mid September, if I remember rightly.

2. If they're indoors and in a heated room during the winter, you should give them a light watering about once a month.

3. Repotting is best done in the spring, just as the plants are starting wake up after their winter dormant period.

It's definitely a good idea to put them outside during the summer, after the last frost, obviously. The only problem could be if you live in an area that gets a lot of rain or if you have a particularly wet summer. Once I started growing cacti for a hobby I decided that one day I would live in a place where they can be grown outside all year round as ordinary garden plants. I haven't quite got there yet.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more