A Conversation for Neologisms

Smeg

Post 1

Didactylos


No less a luminary than Craig Charles (who plays Dave Lister in Red Dwarf) apparently sees 'smeg' as a short form of the word 'smegma', rather than a word made up from nowhere. In a tv interview some time ago he recalled a fan convention where a young fan asked him what 'smeg' meant. His account of the embarrassment this put him in made it clear what *he* thought the derivation was!

I was amazed to discover that a fridge manufacturer had adopted the word as their name - aren't they embrarrassed as well?

On the subject of new words coined to replace swear words, one that should have been included is 'plonker' from Only Fools And Horses - a word much beloved of Del Boy to insult Rodney with. Anyone unsure of the word it replaces might get a hint from A1060769.


Smeg

Post 2

Oberon2001 (Scout)

The writers of Red Dwarf (Rob Grant and Doug Naylor) *claim* (though I don't believe them) that they made it up without realising how it could be connotated.
They wrote up a list of different words that had the right vowel sounds in order to 'feel' rude, but actually weren't.
Oberon2001


Smeg

Post 3

Steve K.

"I was amazed to discover that a fridge manufacturer had adopted the word as their name - aren't they embrarrassed as well?"

Reminds me of the comedian many years ago talking about how companies research new product names. In particular, he pointed out the Wang calculator - "Didn't anybody tell them what that meant?"

smiley - blush


Smeg

Post 4

AgProv2

Ah, the Slartibartfast principle... Douglas Adams and John Lloyd wanted a name that sounded as filthy and embarrasing to the owner as they could get, but one that could still be broadcast, so they started from variations on a theme of "Phartifukborls" and toned it down from there..


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more