A Conversation for How They Get Stripes on Toothpaste

Signal

Post 1

Didactylos


I may be wrong (it happens), but memory tells me that Signal was actually introduced in the UK as Shield (back in the old black-and-white telly days) and kept this name for several years before it was changed to Signal so that the name could be the same all over Europe.

Or was that some other toothpaste? I don’t think so.

(Can’t let an important bit of trivia like that go uncorrected!)


Signal

Post 2

stokaz

I remember Signal being called "Signal 2" for years - it's the first toothpaste I remember using - before its name was changed to plain "Signal".

And around the top of the tube (below the cap) was the legend "Brush At Least Twice A Day With Signal 2 Toothpaste" - but after the name change it became boring old "Always Replace Cap Always Replace Cap Always Replace Cap". (Maybe that's why every third tube failed?)


Signal

Post 3

sleepdeprived

Remember then the Signal tubes were metal and you'd have to bash out the creases to get out the last bitsmiley - magic? Ah, the good old days!


Signal

Post 4

Dr Hell

'Shield' HMMM Could be. If someone could somehow confirm this, I think the Entry should be changed. I am too young to know from experience (although I do remember the metal tube well), and I don't live in the UK, but my source (the dossiers from the mentioned lawsuit) says it was introduced in the UK as 'Signal'. Maybe it was then renamed to 'Shield' and then re-renamed to 'Signal'??

Sorry. I trusted the source.

HELL


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more