A Conversation for Anaemia

symptoms?

Post 1

Wylloe

Surely there are more symptoms of anaemia than just breathlessness? I for one would be interested to learn how to tell if one is anaemic, without having to see a GP. Just my smiley - 2cents


symptoms?

Post 2

Z

The only main symptoms are being tired all the time, and getting out of breath for sever aneamia. Aneamia by defination is a laboratory diagnoses, the only way a smiley - doctor can tell for definate that your are aneamia is a blood test, not by any other signs. Therefore it's really impossible to tell without getting a blood test done. A full blood count (FBC) is often one of the first blood tests a smiley - doctor will do when someone presents with tirdness or other symptoms, as aeamia can be a sign of many other diseases.


symptoms?

Post 3

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

I've been told (though I'll let the Bab Doctor confirm) that a quick empirical test is to look at the inside of your lower eyelid. If it's pale, you *might* be anemic, but if it's bright pink, then likely not.


symptoms?

Post 4

Z

yeah that's true, there are other, (rarer) signs of anaemia, as well, spoon shaped nails (cholionica), and a mark arond the side of the mouth, (angular stomatis) but you can be slightly anaemic without any other them!


symptoms?

Post 5

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

You mean I was *right*? *jaw drops*

Of course, I left the 'y' off of 'Baby'smiley - blush


symptoms?

Post 6

Z

Well it stands to reason,though many people will have significant aneamic without anyof the signs being present. They're only really still taught as a hangover from when laboratroy tests weren't available.


symptoms?

Post 7

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Well, I'd say that they're still pretty good indicators that you should see your doctor and get some tests...


symptoms?

Post 8

Z

smiley - erm I do worry about giving out medical advice on the internet, I would *think* by the time that they appeared you would have gone to your dr anyway..


symptoms?

Post 9

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Both very good points... *shuts up*


Key: Complain about this post