In Other Words

1 Conversation

In Other Words by Amy the Ant

Lads and Gents, I'd like to introduce to you one of the youngest members on h2g2 today - me.

Hello, My name is Katie, I'm more widely known as Darth Zaphodsmiley - planet to those of you who check out AGG/CAC every once and a while, and I am a member of h2g2. (obviously.) I found h2g2 by accident, after reading portions of The Salmon of Doubt, and noticing that Adams had left more than a few references to this site. I decided to check it out. I had no idea that what I ran across would eventually take over my ENTIRE life. I stopped sleeping. I stopped eating. I stopped talking to people in RL. I stopped leaving my house. I haven't showered in six months.

Ok, so I lied a bit about a few of those... maybe all of them. But that's not the point. Life at h2g2 has been anything but relaxing. Ever since I joined nearly a year ago August 7th, I've felt it is my duty to be an active member of the hootoo world. Little did I know how difficult upholding that promise would be.

It all started with GuideML. The single most frustrating idea ever concieved by man - EVER. Never before this had I ever wanted to seriously damage my computer so badly. It never failed, no matter how many times I SWORE to myself that the coding was COMPLETELY right, there was always SOMETHING wrong. 'Expecting Item', 'bad attribute' AAACK! If I knew what an attribute was, I'm sure I would have worked out my problems MUCH easier. That's why nowadays, when I'm working with extensive coding on h2g2 and I get it ALL right the first time, I give myself an imaginary pat on the back, and an imaginary cookie - or a real cookie, depending on how hungry I am.

The addictiveness of GuideML is nothing compared to the addictiveness of the clubs I found around here. I do believe my first club ever was the infamous Thingites (Power to the Spork! smiley - spork) And they all spawned from there... P.U.D.D.I.N.G. smiley - grr, S.T.U.M.P.E.D. smiley - monster, Patron Saint smiley - angel, Uncle Heavy Fan Club smiley - loveblush, and the self-made Random Quotes Guild... I would actually get so involved as to race home after school because I was worried about having to read too much back-log in the No!No!No! Thread.

I keep telling myself, 'Katie, sit down someday and unsubscribe from all of those conversations you don't take part in anymore'. But alas, I don't... and they just pile up, adding on and adding on until I'm going through five pages of old conversations just to get to the one I want to read! Cleaning up my homepage is like cleaning up my room - there's stuff I KNOW I should get out of there, but I just can't bear to part with an old thread with good memories *sniff sniff*. Perhaps I'll just ignore the old convos until they eventually get tired of their cramped living space in my 'old conversations' and revolt against me, eventually killing me. No big deal.

If you're going to be a part of h2g2, you're most likely going to try to add to the Guide itself - or at least to the fiction section, which is what I did. I'm not your 'research, write, develop' kind of person... I'd rather sit down and wing something out that is a bunch of useless JUNK than actually try to make something useful to someone else. I became a strong believer in the usefulness of AGG/CAC and AWW. They were such a big help, getting me started, giving me help, and even putting me in the CAC section of The Post! ~Jwf~ even said he thinks I'll edit AGG/CAC someday... *sniff* I could only hope. Who knew my rants and complaints could be turned into something productive? Something worthwhile? Something Entertaining?! *gasp*

I hath found my niche at h2g2. The place where people accept me for who I am! Power to the weird smiley - weirdpeoples! YIPEE!! I just find it rather disappointing that I couldn't have been around when it was run by the big cheese himself - Douglas Adams. I bet it was spectacular then. H2G2 is like a completely different world. I'm convinced my life would be completely different had I not run across it nearly one year ago. By the way, I'm inviting anyone who wants to come to my 'one year on h2g2' smiley - discopartysmiley - disco thread when August 7th comes; RSVP U198110. Thanks!

Your Little H2G2'er,
Darth Zaphodsmiley - planet

In Other Words Archive

03.04.03 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1014319

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more