A Conversation for Advanced Driving Techniques

Advanced techniques

Post 1

Not-so-bald-eagle


I've just been looking at this Entry and at some of the controversy it has attracted. I would suggest a title change and/or an explanatory paragraph.

Never mind my own quibbles with it, I think that it should be clear that these are techniques advised by the 'rules of the road' mentioned in one of the conversation threads and (anonymous!) researchers. Presumably none of the writers involved is an instructor of advanced driving techniques.

As the entry is on the Front Page of the BBC webpage, some potential readers might IMHO assume that it has been 'approved' in some way.

smiley - coolsmiley - bubbly


Advanced techniques

Post 2

Not-so-bald-eagle


Still on the front page.

I assume no answer means the writers disagree with me

smiley - coolsmiley - bubbly


Advanced techniques

Post 3

Dreaduk

I'm not an advanced driving instructor however I was a Police driver, I am a RoSPA qualified driver and I'm a driving instructor now. Under almost any conditions I would be considered an expert witness on the subject of driving. In the case of this thread it is unnecessary to be an advanced trainer as the only difference between one and me is that they have been taught how to impart their knowledge whilst 'in car'. I have been to many RoSPA meetings where the knowledge of instructors has been proven truly woeful. On one occasion I had to intervene to explain the concepts and reasons for maintaining a safe braking distance between ones car and the car in front. This is the most fundamental rule of safe driving, being able to stop on your own side of the road within the distance you can see to be safe ahead.

I run classes for 6th formers on Practical Driving Theory to try and stop them from chucking themselves down the road the first time they get into a car and the single most important fact I want them to retain is that mantra.

The original article was posted by someone with little or no formal driver training taking advice from a taxi driver who had done an advanced drivers course. What course did he do and did he even pass it?

Driving is a dangerous subject to mess around with and people like this guy spreading incorrect information on a publicly accessible site are dangerous liabilities, particularly if youngsters read it and believe his nonsense.


Advanced techniques

Post 4

Gnomon - time to move on

As far as I can tell, the only "incorrect information" I was spreading was that you can use the "double declutching" technique on a modern car, when in fact it is not necessary. I've changed it now in line with your very clear advice. Thanks.smiley - ok


Advanced techniques

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

>>The original article was posted by someone with little or no formal driver training taking advice from a taxi driver who had done an advanced drivers course

No, in fact the original article was written by seven authors, all of them qualified drivers and one of them with formal advanced driver training as well.


Advanced techniques

Post 6

Not-so-bald-eagle

My own nugget is that when on a French motorway, a tanker lorry cut in from a feeder road leaving too little safety space. It was impossible to change lane to the left and that's when I discovered my brakes had 'gone'.
In RL, the aim is avoiding the obstacle and to heck with the clutch, the gearbox, the handbrake and everything else.
Using your horn and flashing warning lights is a good way of alerting other drivers to your difficulties. The oft-critisized French drivers started dropping back and I was able to get to the safety lane.
I'm a great advocate of safe distances, my usual advice is the regulatory distance 'and then some'. In the first crucial seconds, you're still working out what's wrong, what's working and what isn't...
My other favorite is alerting other drivers (using your horn), nobody 'wants' an accident...

smiley - coolsmiley - bubbly


Advanced techniques

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

I agree entirely. My first rule is "if in doubt, slow down".


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more