A Conversation for The Speaking Clock in the UK

Talking Clocks - good in the dark

Post 1

Gavin

I am something of a collector of clocks - not to extremes, but I do have an "anti-clockwise clock", which is perfectly functional and easy to use if you remember the "big hand/little hand" rules, a "ball bearing clock", which rolls a ball into position every minute, drops four and rolls one every five minutes, drops 15 and rolls one every hour, then, as it moves from 12:59 to 1:00 (it's a twelve hour clock, thankfully), drops 26 balls with a racket to start all over again, and a "Talking clock" (at last, we reach the point!)

Although bought originally as a novelty (from Tandy, as I recall), and occassionally used to surprise visitors, I found it very useful as a bedside clock. As someone bothered by LED's and other luminous clocks at night, and as I hated switching on a light to check the time, I found it invaluable to be able to reach over and push the button, and be told the time to the nearest minute.

It was also good fun to simulate a stutter by pushing the "Ask" button repeatedly ..."It's it's it's it's it's it's three fifteen PM" .

smiley - run check out bookcrossing.com


Key: Complain about this post

Talking Clocks - good in the dark

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more