A Conversation for Terry Pratchett's Discworld

Pratchett Films

Post 101

The Dean

I think Brian Blessed from I Claudius and Black Adder#1 should be Ridcully.Loud and large are his specialties.


Pratchett Films

Post 102

AlexoOo

WHAT AN eXCELLENt CHOICE, DEAR BOY!!!!!!

Sandi Toxvig as Sergeant Stronginthearm.

What Foxy Lady could play Angua?


Pratchett Films

Post 103

Granny Weatherwax - ACE - Hells Belle, Mother-in-Law from the Pit - Haunting near you on Saturday

Dame Maggie Smith would 'do' me better smiley - winkeye, Julie Walters isn't tall enough. Either Dawn French or the actor who played Nursey in Blackadder for Nanny Ogg and I think Bill Nighy would make a great Vetenari.

Angua? I've no idea smiley - sadface


Pratchett Films

Post 104

fords - number 1 all over heaven

It'd have to be someone who was good looking and intelligent whilst slightly scary smiley - smiley


Pratchett Films

Post 105

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

AlexoOo is so right about Magrat.... Perfect...


Pratchett Films

Post 106

trek47

The films are going to be animated so i feel Nigel Planner as Vimes. If you have ever listened to hime reading the books then he has to be the first choice .Tony Robinson is also an excellent chioce as Nobby Nobbs. I am not too sure Joanna Lumley has the voice for Lady Sybill, someone such as Patricia Routledge (Hyacinth Bucket) would be excellent. Alan Rickman would be an excellent patrician, his voice is perfect. Angua i am not sure about perhaps Jane Leeves (Daphne from Frasier). Carrot i cannot make my mind up though.

I have to say i wish they would do the stories from the watch as animation series as i for one would buy them straight up. Obviously not for children, but a fantasic night in if they come out on DVD.

If you think box office then the series will never recoup its money, but if you think targetting us that are fans already , we will by an animated DVD and continue to buy them to collect. In the process some new fans may come about.

I can never see the series being a huge box office hit, but i can certainly forsee some company making a mint if the animate the series. A company such as Pathe who do the Asterix would be good, they have always done the stories s they are in the books, you do not need big name for the voices either.smiley - magic


Pratchett Films

Post 107

AlexoOo

Did you see the two books they did animate -Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music? Very well done I thought.


Pratchett Films

Post 108

You can call me TC

Yes - I've seen Soul Music - absolutely Spot On.

Someone mentioned way back up the backlog that making films of the books would spoil the whole thing.

They may have a point, but it's very interesting to see how people picture the characters by matching them up with known faces. It's also proof of how well the characters are portrayed in the books if so many people agree on so many.

Tony Robinson as Nobby - you realise you've been imagining him like that all along.

And the best suggestion for me so far was Caroline Quentin as Littlebottom. Hits the nail right on the head.

As I say, they don't have to make the film, but it's nice to know that there's lots of people out there with the same pictures in their heads.


Pratchett Films

Post 109

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Who animated those two then...


Pratchett Films

Post 110

AlexoOo

Cosgrove Hall (the guys behind Danger Mouse, Chorlton and the Wheelies and Duckula to name but a few)


Pratchett Films

Post 111

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Ah, of course - did they also do the animation of Wings?


Pratchett Films

Post 112

Silent_Bob_SC

John Cleese as Ridcully, Christopher Lee as Vetinari and Ian McKellen as The Dean I feel are in order.

Aren't the making a film about Good Omens?


Pratchett Films

Post 113

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

Are they? That'd be smiley - cool..

I guess anything by Gaiman is hot property - I imagine they'll make a film of the Sandman before long.


Pratchett Films

Post 114

Morfred

A few of my best bets have already been mentioned.

Bullock IS Susan Sto Helit. There is NOONE else for that role!

Connery for Archchansellor Ridcully is a good one, and Idle for Rincewind is downright ingenious, though I think Sir Bob Geldof would do fine in that role as well. Connery's voice would be absolutely astonishing for Gaspode the Wonder Dog.

Cleese as the Bursar? 1st thought: No WAY!! 2nd: Hey wait a sec... That's bloody brilliant!

Christopher Lloyd as Leonard of Quirm. He already played that role in 3 movies (Back to the Future).

Bette Midler plays one of the 2 non-leading witches, but which one? She looks like Nanny (Ogg), but the personality is definitely more Granny (Weatherwax). I'd have to vote for Granny, but I would like to hear other opinions.

Peter Cook should not PLAY the Dean. Peter Cook IS the Dean!

Michael Palin and Terry Jones would be great as a couple of the other Senior Wizards. ie. Lecturer in Recent runes and/or Senior Wrangler.

And just to finish off the Python crew, I would definitely have Gilliam instructing the thing.

Nicholas Cage would play Ronald Soak. Ben Kingsley would be purr-fect for Lu Tze.


Pratchett Films

Post 115

AlexoOo

I realise this is just a wish list, but aren't some of those people dead?


Pratchett Films

Post 116

fords - number 1 all over heaven

Yeah, Peter Cook for one. But yeah, he'd be good!


Pratchett Films

Post 117

AlexoOo

As who, Reg Shoe?


Pratchett Films

Post 118

You can call me TC

Lao-Tse is more like wossiname, the teacher in Karate Kid.

And Bob Geldof would have too much self-confidence for Rincewind. Rowan ATkinson could do him, but he'd have to do something about his face. Rincewind is sort of the Arthur Dent of the Discworld, so how about Martin Freeman.

Sandra Bullock is not skinny enough for Susan Sto Helit. She should look like Mortitia Adams. Victoria Beckham (but with a voicover - she should have a deep, sinister voice.


Pratchett Films

Post 119

Argon0 (50 and feeling it - back for a bit)

VB for Susan Sto Helit sounds good (for looks)..

I agree about Bob ,way too ardent for our Rincewind, I walways thought of RW as taller than Martin Freeman though - how about Mackenzie Crook for RW?


Pratchett Films

Post 120

Morfred

I didn't know Peter Cook had passed away ... How sad ... When was that? guess Denmark is too far away from England for news of the less known British comedians to get here. Cook never really hit it in this end of the world - though he ought to.

Back when I first read "The Colour of Magic / The Light Fantastic" I also saw a show on video with Dudley Moore and Peter Cook. They had me in fits of laughing on and off for several days, and I have had those two in my mind when thinking of Rincewind and 4 eyes. dudley moore being the latter - off course...

I actually also always thought of him for the role of Arthur Dent too.


Key: Complain about this post