A Conversation for A Welcome and Thank You Message from Douglas Adams

So Long..and Thanks...

Post 21

gup

I had a dream a couple of weeks ago that I met the guy himself and remeber thinking 'wow, everyone is going to be so jealous,' of course I woke up in the morning and thought 's**t, he's dead.'


So Long..and Thanks...

Post 22

Coldfire

Hi everyone-

I found out about 10 minutes ago that Douglas Adams had died...
I honestly cannot believe it...
I've missed my chance to talk with him!
I wanted so much to thank him for the laughter and philosophy he has given me!
I don't know if I didn't know because I missed it on the news or if the news wasn't covered well in Australia...
In the words of Cicero:
That last day does not bring extinction to us but a change of place.
Douglas Adams lives on and I know that where ever Douglas Adams is right now, bliss is also there holding his hand.
Here is to Douglas Adams. smiley - bubbly Cheers everyone.

I think that the idea about making sure that the h2g2 site film turns out well would be a great start to a worthy tibute.


So Long..and Thanks...

Post 23

Spike Anderson is sorry he can't catch up on a whole month's backlog

I know how you feel. I first found the site in either 1999 or 2000. Not understanding its importance, I forgot about it quickly. When I came back later, I was scared away by the cold, corporate look of al*****er. That's been the cause of my resentment.

It was not until my friend told my about this great site he had found that I came back for good. I had heard of DNA's passing when it happened, and now I knew it was too late. But that's the way it is. Even so, having never met him in person or even had any correspondence with him, I still get emotional whenever I think about it. No more books. No more conversations. No more fish.

So this is my tribute: my share of the site. It's about communication, about the flow of useful information, and together with 360, its about solving all problems, large and small. And that is holy.

I noticed you're U203165. It makes me feel like an old man. I'm U187600. Of course, the site goes through U-number pretty quickly. Most researchers are me that first time: sign up, check it out, and never come back again. Don't make that mistake, Coldfire. You never know what you might miss. Now I *sound* like an old man. Terrific.

-Spike A.

(BTW, if I don't respond, it's because I haven't had much time to hang around h2g2, thanks to school. I'll never leave, though. This place is too sacred, too important.)


So Long..and Thanks...

Post 24

Researcher 204109

I can't believe it! This site has been up for several years & I've just NOW found it?! How sad. I first read DNA in high school nearly 20 years ago. I have 2 versions of each book on tape (including THHGTTG in which I melded the complete version - read by the man hisself - & the edited version read by *hrmph - the name escapes me* - the fellow who played Marvin in the BBC version, complete w/ sound effects. If anyone would like a *free* copy, feel free to call me (480)-217-3907) )
It's so good to have this forum wherein we can discuss & muse over the man & his works.
A bit of useless triva: Fox Mulder's Apt # was 42 - coincidence? I think not! smiley - winkeye


So Long..and Thanks...

Post 25

Dylstra

At the end of the school year in which I turned 15, I received an omnibus edition of 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' (not including 'Mostly Harmless', which I purchased separately later on), all of which I have read countless times since. I like to think that my attitude to life, the universe and everything is a reflection of those texts. 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' trilogy has made me who I am today (a dubious honour {an even more dubious use of the term 'honour'}).


So Long..and Thanks...

Post 26

Coldfire

Spike, I'm sorry to say that is exactly what I did!
I came to the site after I saw "The late Douglas Adams- etc" and I thought WHAT? LATE? HELLO?. I signed up and then I got swept up wit hmy semester and didn't come back.
Well... I'm back now! :D

I feel sad too that there will be no more books and no conversation.

I think that what you said about your participation being a tribute made alot of sense. Mind if I join you? :D

Take care.

Cf


So Long..and Thanks...

Post 27

Big Red

I'd nominate Tim Burton to script and direct the movie. That way, I'd feel it was in good hands.


So Long..and Thanks...

Post 28

silverygibbon

I always thought Terry Gilliam would have been a good choice.


So Long..and Thanks...

Post 29

Coldfire

Who directed the first Harry Potter movie?
whoever that was, they did a pretty good job in keeping with the story and finding actors and actresses that looked the part.
The thing that drives me crazy is when directors change the story and characters and then call it creative licence! Just like Queen of the Damned. The book is a billion times better than the film for the sole reason that the vampires don't look like arrogant, fierce, dumb, sleep deprived, stoned, wierdos when Ane Rice talks about them. Vampires are supposed to be beautiful and seductive. Anyway, blah blah blah but the point I'm trying to make is whoever the director is, I hope they stick to the story and make an effort to find appropriate actors because the original is always the best!


So Long..and Thanks...

Post 30

sarpdragon

No, I think it is the bone in Arthur's beard...


So Long..and Thanks...

Post 31

sarpdragon

Yes!

I've always enjoyed Mr. Gillium's movies... 12 Monkeys was exceptionally enigmatic, but also well filmed.

And I think it would take a fellow Englishman to show or portray DNA's books or life for that matter.


So Long..and Thanks...

Post 32

silverygibbon

Gilliam is a Yank (but has the soul of an Englishman).


So Long..and Thanks...

Post 33

Big Red

Burton is English.


So Long..and Thanks...

Post 34

silverygibbon

Burton is a complete weirdo!

*Note, this is NOT a criticism. smiley - smiley


So Long..and Thanks...

Post 35

several, a/k/a random

feeling particularly froody tonight/this morning, i must interject that we must eddjucate our chillens and pass along the opportunity to be literate, witty and screwy and further develop the Hitchhiker's Guide. smiley - musicalnote


So Long..and Thanks...

Post 36

ScorpionPunch

I origanly heard of the books on the radio but didn't think of them till a friend online recomended them to me. I read his books again and again. I found you can find some copys of them on audiotape...READ BY DNA!!! You can hear him reading his book and he reads them the best! They are twice as good once you;ve listened to them this way. Whenever I go into my room I turn them on. One of the effects of doing this is I can now quote whole chapters. I think DNA himself would feel Im a little over obsessed but this book has totally given me a whole new outlook on life. I am very sad that I didn't pick these book up till after his death so I could never thank him for them. Every time i re-re-re-re-re-read one of his books I feel like I wish I could send him a letter of thanks. I think we should all do what he says and try and write entrys for the hitchikers guide. Wouldn't the best way to remember him be make his work famouse and successful?! So long DNA, the world will be a great deal less weird without you. smiley - sadface

Ford and Zaphod-Zaglabor astragard!
Hootrimansion Bambriar!
Bangliatur Poosbladoooo!
Arthur-What the hell are you doing?
Ford-It's an ancient Betelgeuse death anthem. It means, after this, . things can only get better.

-From the H2G2 TV show.


So Long..and Thanks...

Post 37

several, a/k/a random

the world would still be wierd, but at least now we can talk about it. do an intro, 202727!


So Long..and Thanks...

Post 38

Big Red

Yes! That's why I think Burton would be so good. Terry Gilliam also would be terrific. Yes, not English, but hung out with them enough to know his way around, right? "Twelve Monkeys" was great, and "Brazil" was too. Incidentally, I also liked the 7-episode TV show. I have it on tape, and love lending it to people who've enjoyed the books and never ever knew there was this TV show. In fact, I saw the TV series before I heard of the books. Stumbled across it on public TV here in the States and was instantly hooked! It was especially funny that I'd just seen the guy who played Arthur also play Lord Brideshead in "Brideshead Revisited"!


So Long..and Thanks...

Post 39

silverygibbon

I was lucky enough to hear the radio series on it's premiere.

(Short history. I'm an Aussie. Dad (RAAF) was on posting to Cranwell, UK. Mum and Dad went to church on Sundays, and - having somehow happened across it - I'd been sitting at home listening to a radio serial [Lord of the Rings IIRC] on radio each week.)

One Sunday morning, the announcer said "And now the first episode of our new science fiction series...."

Absolute magic. smiley - wow


So Long..and Thanks...

Post 40

Big Red

Yeah, I'm jealous!


Key: Complain about this post