Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

Entry: The Monkey and the Coconuts - A882498
Author: Gnomon - U151503

An old chestnut, or is it a coconut?

A882498 - The Monkey and the Coconuts

Post 2

Jimi X

I believe the Saturday Evening Post was more of a magazine than a newspaper...

Otherwise, it's an interesting entry though after reading it I had that sickening arithmetic-caused smiley - headhurts feeling that I get when trying to follow complex math. But then again, my lack of skill in maths is what caused me to go into journalism. smiley - winkeye

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks, Jimi. I've changed that to magazine.

Post 4

NAITA (Join ViTAL - A1014625)

Nice entry. But I think it needs an intro of some sort, to warn the reader that he's about to embark on an adventure of mathematics, involving coconuts and sailors.

Also you should put in a spoiler warning for those who might want to try solving the problem themselves. The problem with one less coconut at the end could also be described before going into solutions.

The history of the problem might deserve an earlier mention as well, especially for those who stop reading to solve the problem. I don't know if it's available, but it would be nice to know where the problem comes from, there are obviously earlier sources since you can state that it was changed for the publication in 1926.

smiley - ok

Post 5

Gnomon - time to move on

Thanks, NAITA. I'll consider restructuring the entry slightly, since it doesn't seem to be attracting much interest in its present form.smiley - smiley

Post 6

Pimms

Gnomon, how much interest can one expect? It isn't exactly a general interest article - a bit abstruse (smiley - cheerup though to be fair no more than many entries).
Personally I'd put it in with your other 'Common Puzzles' A863138, even though it isn't very well known. I'd like to see the Life JH Conway article finished A656688 more than read about nuts.

Pimms smiley - stiffdrink

Post 7

Gnomon - time to move on

OK, I'll withdraw this and rethink. smiley - smiley

Post 8

Bah, _I_ liked it. Just wanted a _tiny_ complete restructuring. smiley - smiley

Post 9

Pimms

Don't give too much weight to my opinions just my smiley - 2cents - I am still new to this, and testing the waters of Guide criticism.
I wouldn't be surprised if you disagreed, but with the preponderance of articles you have been involved in, you must have a fair idea of what would be a goer.

Pimms smiley - stiffdrink

Post 10

Ahem...

Is this a goer, eyh? Know what I mean? Know what I mean?
Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, eyh?

smiley - biggrin

Post 11

Gnomon - time to move on

Coconuts, he asked him knowingly. Say no more, squire! I'll have to think about it.

Post 12

Bluebottle

Now in Peer Review here: F48874?thread=8312675

<BB<

Key: Complain about this post